Best time to dive Alki to see sixgills?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Night to early AM is the optimal time.

TSandM and I saw one at about 60 fsw out in Cove 1 last week at about 5:30 PM or so ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Don't dive Alki much, is there a best time of day to see the sixgills? Any particular area they seem to appear in?

There is a best time of the year which is late summer and early fall and although they can be seen throughout the year your chances are greater in the late summer. I've seen them in most months however. In general, the smaller ones are seen in the winter althought Bob and Lynne just saw a larger one so there are no absolute rules.

Dusk to dawn increases your chances as far as time of day goes. It doesn't really matter where you are in the Coves but earlier in the evening your chances are better to go deeper (110 fsw or so) but as the night progresses they move shallower. I've seen them at 35 fsw but most have been around 100 fsw.

Many people see them near the I-Beams but that's just because that's where most people go. I've seen them at that same depth and deeper all over Coves 1 and 2.

Esscentially, they find you and although I spend a few minutes deeper on any Cove 2 night dive in hopes of seeing one I don't spend a lot of time looking as they are either there or they're not.

I've seen 3 at cove 2 this year. They were at depths from 60-100 feet, and times from 6-8 PM.

Good luck to you! Seeing the one the other night was definitely one of the best dives I've ever done in the Sound.

Reading these posts, makes me want to get back up to Alki and look myself

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom