Best time to come???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Busdiver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Howdy,

A group of us from Michigan would like to head out your way for a week of diving. When is the best time of year for diving? We are all very used to cold water and dry suits.

Thanks,

Bus

Hi Bus,

Generally, the best diving off our wet coast is in the winter. The visibility is usually good (site or area dependant, of course), it is off season so prices are often a bit lower for hotels and such and shore diving sites tend to be less crowded. However, you really have to like rain - a lot, to appreciate the benefits of west coast winter diving. In the winter we often get one low pressure event after another with little or no break inbetween - it can be a bit soul-sucking for those used to clear skies in winter.

IMO, there are a few "compromise months" - the "shoulder" months of April and May tend to have good weather with still the good vis and off-season benefits typical of winter, as well as September and October for the same reasons. The summer here is usually beautiful, but there are algal blooms, tourist prices and crowds to contend with.

Having said all that, outside of a fall/winter wind storm there is always somewhere to dive off our coast!

Hope that helps.

Lee

So anytime between now and May. This may become a US thanksgiving 2011 trip. Thank you for your help.

Happy Thanksgiving to the Canadian brethren. I dive with many of your countrymen in the Ontario/Michigan area. Someday they may learn about good beer.

See you within a year,

Bus

I'm thinking to head to Barkley Sound in March. Haven't been there since 2004 ... I hear Peter and Kathy have made some improvements since then ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Back
Top Bottom