Best Time for Costa Rica?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

georoc01

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
It seems like every post/review talks about 30' vis and that its better than that at other times.

So what is the best time of year to go diving in Costa Rica?

My wife and I have done a fair amount of diving in Costa Rica. There is no time when you can count on diving at all on the Caribbean coast, it rains a lot there and there really is no dry season. When it rains a significant amount there is no visibility at all. If there is a week of good weather the diving is really nice, but as often as not we have not even been able to dive there.

Guanacaste is where most of the diving is. It can be fantastic, but more than 30-40 feet of visibility is very rare. There is a lot to see and you will enjoy the diving.

My favorite diving there is Isla Del Cano, on the southern part of the Pacific coast, also my favorite part of the country. The vis is better there than anywhere else we have been in CR. There is a lot to see as in Guanacaste, but it is much less developed in the south and it is green and lush unlike arid Guanacaste. There are no big resorts down south, mostly small bed and breakfasts, lots of houses to rent, some of them not too badly priced. The closest point to Isla Del Cano is Drake Bay from which it is only about ten miles. We have stayed at Corcovado Adventures Tent Camp and really like it. It sounds pretty expensive, but includes three meals a day because there is nowhere else to eat. We really like the area around Ojochal and Uvita a little farther north. The only problem with that is it is a thirty or forty mile boat trip each way. In Uvita Mad About Diving is a good outfit. We have used Mystic Dive Center in Ojochal as well and were much happier with Mad About Diving.

We have heard that the diving in the Bat Islands is great but we cannot get there when they are doing that trip.

I would recommend January or February for any of the Pacific sites except the Bat Islands which they only dive during the rainy season when the seas are calmer.

If you are interested, I am hoping to take a group next January for a trip focused on diving, but with a bunch of other fun things as well. I have seven people with strong interest now and I am hoping for twelve. If you have any interest, send me a private message.

Earl

Cocos Island did offer good vis when I was there on board Sea Hunter.
Lots of Hammerhead.
But 36hrs of one way sailing is a bit too much but you have no choice.

Generally speaking;
best time for diving in Costa Rica on the pacific coast is between December and May with a slight advantage for March.
In Guanacaste (Tamarindo/Flamingo/Playas del Coco/Playa Hermosa) the good dive season may be longer as there are no important rivers run off.
On the carribean cost diving is best when the trade winds slow down, so from August to December.
This is how the things where in the past while today due the climate change dry and rain season are not so defined anymore.
Viz is also greatly influenced by plancton and algea load of the currents and swells stirring up the sediments from river run-off.

The good side of the bad viz is that the high load of plancton and algeas bring a enormous amount of nutrients in this waters and this attract and feed marine life. Diving is always worth in Costa Rica as you always will see more than "something".

Chris

For Pacific side southern end I would go with december through to April time. This includes Cano where we have had up to 80ft viz at some times. From May onwards it drops down with the rains and I find the diving in Guanacaste is better at this point generally. I visited th Bat island in August and the dives where phenomenal with Bull sharks, Mantas and all. Viz was around 60ft at that time.

One of the most poplular places to div eis Playas del Coco,
Of course the Pacific is no Carribean ocean, but we have great schools of fish.
Some days are better than otheres. At this moment hte diving is great, good temp and good viz about 50 feet.

We have been seeing many sharks, rays, even a manta, big schools of fish, little stuff liek seahorse, clown shrimp and a few small frog fish.
Teh last Bat trip we had a big school of cow nose rays and a few bull sharks. Tha bull shark time is starting right now untill early Nov.
Let me know if you would like more detaisl or help planning your trip
Brenda

I will be down in July. Staying at the Riu Hotel.Any other dive shop besides Scuba Caribe in the area? They do not go to Bat Island and it is the reason for coming in the summer.

Costa Rica diving in Flamingo is good and I think they do Bat Islands. I know El Ocotal Resort does them and they are always very good but a little more expensive. Also a little closer to Riu.

Last weekend I went to the Flamingo Marina Resort, in the same hotel its a dive operator,they make trips to the Catalina Islands and Bat Islands, Aquacenter. good visibility at 80 feet

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom