Best strobe for G12 w/ RecSea housing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ayitiplonje

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
As per photo below, I recently downsized my setup to the G12 with a RecSea housing (w/fisheye lens and supermacro diopters options), but the Sealife Digitial Pro flash shown just died on me. Note that since I took the attached photo, I've built a clamp for a spotting light that sits in the hotshoe of the housing.

I am now looking for suggestions as to the best [single] strobe replacement, taking into consideration my camera/housing setup, cost, flexibility, performance etc. Basically debating Sea&Sea and INON.

While I typically shoot manual, I have heard that s-TTL provides more flexibility via auto-exposure on the strobe. That said, my understanding is that the G12 doesn't shoot s-TTL in manual mode, only TV.

The other photo is a mugshot of a guy I ran into last week down here in Haiti. He looks grumpy, but was actually psyched that I took his picture:)

Thanks for any and all suggestions!

Jeff

G12 with Digital Pro Flash.jpgIMG_2408.jpg

If you want small size, S2000 is a beautiful little strobe. Probably not enough oomph for wide angle. Sea & Sea YS-D1 or Inon Z240 will both work as single strobe. If you can't use the S-ttl feature in manual mode on your G-12, you can set the Z-240 strobe to external auto, set the aperture and the strobe adjusts. With 24 settings, if it's too low or too bright, you can go up or down one. YS-D1 is a hundred bucks cheaper than the Z-240, not quite as small and light, slightly more powerful, has a warmer beam for macro. Lots of manual settings or S-ttl. The Z-240 type 4 can also fire optically without a fibre optic cord, due to a much more sensitive sensor.

If you go into the canon corner you will find out that there is a trick to enable sttl on manual on the s95
The G12 ha the same processor so with few tweaks it will work too

Larry and Interceptor, thanks for the helpful suggestions and tweaking tip.
Cheers,
Jeff

Back
Top Bottom