Best spots in Feb/Mar

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kaysav

Registered
Reaction score
I will be travelling around southern Thailand from the end of February until the end of March.

I am looking for any advice on Islands or areas of the mainland with the best/worst conditions this time of year and any good recommendations.

Year round you'll find best diving in the Andaman Sea, from Koh Lipe in the south to Khao Lak further North. Since it is also the high season for that part of Thailand but not very busy anymore your chpoice seems easy :)

The Andaman is the best option for this time of year, good weather usually and a wide variety of trips available. Liveaboards run regularly at this time of year and daytrips are also an option if you are not looking for a long trip.

If you're going to spend a whole month traveling around southern Thailand, you can pretty much dive everywhere there's diving on offer. There are islands in two main parts of the country--the Gulf of Thailand to the east and the Andaman Sea to the west. You could spend a week or so exploring the dive sites around Koh Tao and Koh Samui in the Gulf, and then three weeks or so in the Andaman. If I had that amount of time available for the Andaman here's what I'd do:
1) I'd get on a liveaboard to the Similans and Richelieu Rock.
2) I'd do a couple of daytrip excursions from Phuket to Shark Point and Phi Phi to round out the first week
3) I'd take the Tigerline Ferry south, stopping off at Koh Lanta for a few days to dive at Hin Daeng/Hin Muang and Koh Haa, then hop back on the ferry to the next island, and so on.
4) The little islands on the ferry line don't offer spectacular diving, but they are relatively undeveloped and unspoiled, so you can chill for a couple of days at each one, do a couple of dives, relax on the beach, and then keep going. At this point maybe two weeks of the three are used up.
5) I'd get down to Koh Lipe and dive for several days there at Eight Mile and Stonehenge among other places and enjoy the island vibe.

I'd second Quero's Koh Lanta recommendation... There's mantas about at the moment too, and I've been hearing a few reports of guitar sharks being spotted too...

Great advice Quero.

Is accommodation easy to find on arrival to the smaller islands on the tigerline route or should you book ahead?

End of Feb shouldn't be too much of a problem, but it wouldn't hurt to check out the options ahead of time so that you know what you're looking for/at. I've stayed at a couple of these places, though I'd have to think about the names, and if I really went to the exact same islands. I know I stayed on Koh Libong (near Koh Kradan) once, for example, and of course Lanta and Lipe too, and the lodgings are sometimes pretty rustic, like beach shacks, so you need to know that's what you want.

Kaysav (or anyone else) - I'm looking for dive buddies for Thailand, Malaysia and/or Singapore for late Feb - late March. Let me know if you'd like some company. Cheers!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom