Best Snorkeling/Diving Combo In Caribbean

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

riltri

Registered
Reaction score
My wife does not dive but loves to snorkle...I dive. We have been to Roatan several times and absolutely love it, but very limited snorkeling for her. I want to do 1-2 dives in the a.m. then snorkel with her in the afternoon. So, I'm looking for the best combo. Will appreciate any suggestions!!

ETA: not intersted in night life. We just chill in the evenings.

Turneffe Island Resort has really great snorkeling. They take people out in the lagoon. It is sheltered so no chop. The water is clear. There are some really nice stands of staghorn coral. I have seen turtles, nurse sharks, rays, green morays in the lagoon. And it is about a max of 12’.

The diving is good especially if you like morays. The visibility is good but not like Lagoon. The elbow at the south of the atoll is a great dive but has a fair amount of current.

I think the diving at Cayman Brac is better than Turneffe but the snorkeling is not as good. You generally need about 20’ before you get good marine life and that is a bit of a gap for someone on the surface.

Check out The Dive Bus (@Saturated and satisfied) on SB) in Curacao. If you want to ride with them, they can take you shore diving while your wife snorkels at the same location. If have a rental car, when you finish diving/snorkeling with The Dive Bus, you can snorkel other spots in the sheltered coves on your way back to your hotel/resort. My wife and I did this during a 30 day stay at the Sunscape Curacao, and it worked out very nicely for both of us. I interspersed those shore dives with some boat dives with Ocean Encounters at the Sunscape, and then we would snorkel together in the PM or just lounge around the beach.

I second Curacao. I haven't used The Dive Bus, but if we hadn't gone with a mixed group of divers/non divers (divers for me, snorkelers for her) they would have been a great option for us.

We stayed in Westpunt and had some great snorkeling right off the shore. Evenings were nice and quiet.

Erik

CoCo View Resort on Roatan. Unlimited snorkeling and diving in their front yard.
We were thinking of trying something different from Roatan (like Curacao), since we have been twice. But after researching reef conditions, I'm rethinking that. Seems like Roatan's reefs are in the best condition...someone correct me if wrong.

Happy to give this thread a bump.

I also have a non- diving spouse who prefers snorkeling to diving. We travel to Bonaire annually. The diving and snorkeling is fantastic from a boat or shore. We also enjoyed the Turneffe Atoll in Belize. Solid diving and snorkeling.

Back
Top Bottom