Best smart phone underwater housings

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

12th Man

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Those of you who are using your smartphones for recreational diving. Which smartphone housing do have you found to be the best & easiest to use.

Thanks

i love my sealife sports diver. kraken also has one. I’ll be getting the oceanic version once it come out next year.

Those of you who are using your smartphones for recreational diving. Which smartphone housing do have you found to be the best & easiest to use.

Thanks
Got tired of toting around my Ikelite housings with the big strobes hanging off of them. I have been using the Sealife Sportdiver for a year now. Easy to use, and more versatile than anything out there, switch from macro to wide angle with a few pushes of the button. Switch from still to video with one push of a button. I am continually surprised at how well it does under low light conditions. As far as results go, you judge for yourself by scrawling back through my posts, on BHB and LBTS. All the images and all the video have been shot with the Sealife Sportdiver on ambient light. BHB and LBTS are shallow dives, nothing greater than 20ft. If it I was diving deeper more often than I might consider adding some light, The Sealife Sportdiver is made of plastic, Kraken has a very similar housing made of aluminum for approximately the same price. Kraken also allows for wet lens addons, but of course that starts to get expensive. Also if you do a little hunting around there is a thread somewhere with more information on Sealife Sportdiver.

EDIT: Adding some images here so need to go hunting around the whole board for them. Respectively, Barred Cardinal, Seahorses, Squid, Lancer Dragonet, Spadefish, Spadefish, Goliath Grouper, Zebra Sole, Wide Angle Channel Barrier, Wide Angle Shark Statues, Barracuda, Beaded Starfish, Porkfish, Scaled Sardine, Scaled Sardine
01-06-22 Barred Cardinal Fish.jpeg
02-05-22 Seahorses2.jpeg
02-06-22 Caribbean Reef Squid.jpeg
04-08-22 Female Lancer Dragonet.jpeg
04-17-22 Spadefish.jpeg
04-17-22 Spadefish1.jpeg
04-19-22 Goliath.jpeg
07-28-22 Naked Sole.jpeg
08-12-22 Channel Barrier.jpeg
08-15-22 Wide Angle Shark Statues.jpeg
08-26-22 Beaded Seastar.jpeg
08-31-22 Porkfish3.jpeg
09-01-22 Scaled Sardine3.jpeg
09-02-22 Bunched Up.jpeg
08-26-22 Barracuda.jpeg

Thanks for the input. I dove south FL last week. All three divers diving with me had the Kraken. I really liked the set up.

Got tired of toting around my Ikelite housings with the big strobes hanging off of them. I have been using the Sealife Sportdiver for a year now. Easy to use, and more versatile than anything out there, switch from macro to wide angle with a few pushes of the button. Switch from still to video with one push of a button. I am continually surprised at how well it does under low light conditions. As far as results go, you judge for yourself by scrawling back through my posts, on BHB and LBTS. All the images and all the video have been shot with the Sealife Sportdiver on ambient light. BHB and LBTS are shallow dives, nothing greater than 20ft. If it I was diving deeper more often than I might consider adding some light, The Sealife Sportdiver is made of plastic, Kraken has a very similar housing made of aluminum for approximately the same price. Kraken also allows for wet lens addons, but of course that starts to get expensive. Also if you do a little hunting around there is a thread somewhere with more information on Sealife Sportdiver.

EDIT: Adding some images here so need to go hunting around the whole board for them. Respectively, Barred Cardinal, Seahorses, Squid, Lancer Dragonet, Spadefish, Spadefish, Goliath Grouper, Zebra Sole, Wide Angle Channel Barrier, Wide Angle Shark Statues, Barracuda, Beaded Starfish, Porkfish, Scaled Sardine, Scaled SardineView attachment 744280View attachment 744281View attachment 744282View attachment 744283View attachment 744284View attachment 744285View attachment 744286View attachment 744287View attachment 744288View attachment 744289View attachment 744291View attachment 744292View attachment 744293View attachment 744294View attachment 744290
What phone are you using, if I may ask? It seems that phone camera software has greatly improved over the last few years, with the flagship phones able to take great pictures in a wide range of circumstances.

I'm liking the idea of picking up a google pixel 6 used, and just using that as my dive camera. I really liked the Kraken review. I'm starting to lean towards this housing over the SeaLife. I like the fact it it's aluminum and not plastic, has a vacuum seal and has a deeper rating. I'm thinking of going with the base Kraken KRHO6 and not the depth and temperature sensor model. I'll save $130.00 towards the camera. Still digging in on this one.

Thanks everyone, great info so far!

Pipe Horse, your pictures are beautiful!

I have had the Divevolk housing for about a year now and have really enjoyed using it. It's very basic but has one feature I needed, which is the ability to use the touchscreen under water. I use my phone for multiple things and need to be able to switch between apps and make selections. So far I have not had any leak issues although I rarely go below 50 feet.
IMG_4666.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom