Best smallest backup light?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Paco II

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Looking to get a backup light that will mainly live in my BC pocket. The primary need is a very small size, but still want a quality light. I prefer lights that use a toggle switch, but appreciate any tips.

The UK Q40 is a nice 4AA light. The halogen version is 2.1 watts. Sharply focussed beam makes for a pretty bright central spot. It is twist on style. I have marked the bezel so I know the right spot to twist it to turn it fully off but not flood it.

I found that the Q40 wasn't bright enough to see under ledges well in clear tropical waters and have gone to the Ikelite 6AA-powered PCa light. 7.2 watts. Very bright. nice locking on/off switch. The downside of drawing so much power from 6AA batteries is battery life of less than 2 hours. Putting that much power is such a small size also means that if you leave it on topside for more than 5 or 10 minutes, that it will melt the plastic front lens. In spite of this, it is still my favorite light by far. There is also a 4AA version, but at least the early versions of it didn't have a lock on the on/off switch.

If you are looking for really, really tiny, then look at the UK 2L light. It has the same lighthead as the Q40, but is powered by two DL123 lithium batteries. Expensive batteries, but a good light as a true backup. They have served me well as backup lights both underwater and on a very wet sailboat.

I also have the Ikelite Pca 6aa light and love it. Compact and bright. Fits nice in any pocket.

You guys have any flooding issues with the PCa lights? I've read some reviews that mention that. Also, any experience/info on the PCm lights?

Had my hands on a Salvo Rat Jr.

Can't believe how bright the beam was. Little pricey though.

I believe that Salvo Rat Jr. isn't made by Salvo. Who is the manufacture of this light?

The salvo rat series would fit this bill nicely. The Jr. is very small and bright, six hour burn time in a small bright package. Salvo does make this light in house.
ScubaGearPro

Brent

The Salvo Rat Jr. is a great choice, if expensive. Heiser makes some really nice (and expensive) backup lights as well (can't find a link at the moment), and the OMS Vega is another [fairly expensive] top shelf option, as is the Manta Diamond backup light.

For the "budget" option that's actually a really nice light, it's hard to beat the UK Mini Q40 eLED.

The salvo rat series would fit this bill nicely. The Jr. is very small and bright, six hour burn time in a small bright package. Salvo does make this light in house.
ScubaGearPro

Brent

Thanks for your clarification.

I have seen this light at the cave country. It was a really nice light that I want to have.

You guys have any flooding issues with the PCa lights? I've read some reviews that mention that. Also, any experience/info on the PCm lights?
I have taken a PCa light with me for the last 300 or 400 dives, with never even a drop of water leaking into the light. Probably recharged the batteries after every 5 dives or so (daytime use) and after every one of my not nearly as frequent night dives. I use it as a primary in clear water tropical night dives.

I do remove and grease the o-ring every few months, and treat the locking mechanism carefully by always squeezing the lighthead onto the body before moving the latch to the unlock position and only then letting the lighthead pop off. Similarly, when replacing the lighthead I fully open the latch, shove the lighthead into place and hold it there, and only then let the latch go into the locking position. The locking mechanism looks a bit flimsy and might cause problems if you round off the small plastic latch that keeps the battery spring pressure from popping off the lighthead. Hopefully, the previous couple of sentences will make sense if you have a light in your hands to play with.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom