Best short trip option? Caribbean vs Jupiter?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We did Compass Point / Ocean Frontiers on the east side of GC last June, and it was great (although not a lot of big stuff). It's helpful to have a car.

Sorry to hijack the thread: We've done Key Largo and Pompano Beach, but haven't made it to Jupiter yet. I gather the Goliaths show up in early autumn, and it was just mentioned that the Lemons congregate in winter. What is the diving in Jupiter like in June - July? Airfare PHL to FLL or MIA can be really cheap and very tempting for me.

Places I have not been, but am trying to find time/money to visit are Bimini and Key Largo.

Dear SB folk,
New member, long time lurker. I'd like yr advice on where to go based on my specific situation.
I will have a 5 max 6 day window (must include travel days) in early Jan in which to dive. I will leave from and return to Orlando. I have dived in Grand Caymen (west and east sides, though only a few dives on east), coz (many many dives), Roatan (liked, did not love) and Jupiter (4 dives). I was impressed by the pelagic population in Jupiter, though vis wasn't great and I don't think the coral really stacks up to the Caribbean spots. I have around 75 to 100 dives total and have nitrox. I'm not a macro guy, prefer pelagics and beautiful coral. I've saved enough cash so that as long as we're not talking about renting a yacht, I'm not too worried about $. Traveling solo, so no need to please anyone else. Focus is on diving only. Top spots I'm considering:
Little Cayman - everyone seems to love it. Slightly concerned about travel times, not sure if i will see pelagics. I do really love wall dives tho.
GC- would go back to East End and see more of that. Again, wouldn't expect lots of pelagics.
Jupiter- obviously the easiest, since I can drive. I would expect lots of sharks, but not totally sure re time of year. Travel to Fl often, so can go relatively easily another time.
Saba - don't know much about this location. Could it combine sharky water with pretty coral? Other? I certainly don't know it all! So, given that set of circumstances and the time of year, where would you go and why? Thanks so much!

I know that you said that budget wasn't the biggest factor in deciding where to go, but January is the high season and single occupancy at a Caribbean dive resort can get pricey.

I don't know if they still have availability for early January, but the Clearly Cayman Resorts (GC, CB, and LC) are still advertising their 25th Anniversary Special through January 19, so it might be worth checking them out:
FREE Diving & FREE Nitrox

The Anniversary Sale at Sunset House is scheduled to end on Dec 21st, but they've got construction going on there right now so they might extend it? It wouldn't hurt to ask if you are interested:
Sunset House Cayman's 60th Anniversary Special

January-Feb is tricky weatherwise (on both ends, when you're traveling from someplace with actual winter.) Especially when you are so limited on time and want to avoid longer travel.

If T&C otherwise meets your needs, you could always do it this time then again with her. Planning the return trip will be even easier once you have the lay of the land. (Not sure off hand about the specifics of water temps and weather there in Jan though.)

We did Compass Point / Ocean Frontiers on the east side of GC last June, and it was great (although not a lot of big stuff). It's helpful to have a car.

Sorry to hijack the thread: We've done Key Largo and Pompano Beach, but haven't made it to Jupiter yet. I gather the Goliaths show up in early autumn, and it was just mentioned that the Lemons congregate in winter. What is the diving in Jupiter like in June - July? Airfare PHL to FLL or MIA can be really cheap and very tempting for me.

Not hijacking, no worries. I did 4 dives in Jupiter and 2 off West Palm in may. They were all pretty cool, but preferred Jupiter. Saw 2 nice lemon sharks v close up and innumerable reef sharks. Vis I would guess to be approx 50 ft. Temp was mid 70s. Overall, v enjoyable, tho not as beautiful as the Caribbean.

Why not Provo twice: Once solo diving all day and one more relaxed with your spouse. Diving and traveling solo is tailor made for Provo because you can spend all day out on the water diving. Get back, clean up, dinner, sleep and do it again.

Why not Provo twice: Once solo diving all day and one more relaxed with your spouse. Diving and traveling solo is tailor made for Provo because you can spend all day out on the water diving. Get back, clean up, dinner, sleep and do it again.

Thanks for the suggestion. May I ask why you would suggest Provo over little cayman? Is it for more pelagics?

hanks for the suggestion. May I ask why you would suggest Provo over little cayman? Is it for more pelagics?
Not suggesting Provo is better than LC. But based upon your description and location, Provo seemed like a good option. You will likely see reef sharks every dive in Provo. Not so in LC. You said you were also limited in time and faster to Provo (I would think) than LC. LCBR will likely charge a single supplement. Either would be awesome, but not as likely to see sharks in LC.

Lots of sharks in Provo but long boat rides out to the reefs, is 2 dives per day okay for you or are you looking for more?

Not suggesting Provo is better than LC. But based upon your description and location, Provo seemed like a good option. You will likely see reef sharks every dive in Provo. Not so in LC. You said you were also limited in time and faster to Provo (I would think) than LC. LCBR will likely charge a single supplement. Either would be awesome, but not as likely to see sharks in LC.
Thanks, appreciate your sharing your thoughts.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom