Best Shore Diving on Grand Cayman?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thought diving from Dive Tech shop at Turtle Farm was pretty good. Miniwall close by, very different scenery to left or right. When we were there, to the left from entry there was a school of cudas always hanging out under an overhang.

I liked diving off Sunset House ok first trip there like 10 years ago, not so much anymore. Don't know which of us changed.

it may be more work to load tanks and drive out of town, but there are some truly spectacular dives from shore in the less travelled parts of the island.

In no particular order, my top five shore dives are probably:
Dolphin Point on East End
Pedro's Castle on the south side
My Apartment Wall in North Side
McCurley's Wall in North Side
Anchor Point in East End

Conditions can be touchy, particularly at Pedro's Castle. Watch for currents, and waves which may make entry and exit dangerous in some cases.

Damselfish once bubbled...
Thought diving from Dive Tech shop at Turtle Farm was pretty good. Miniwall close by, very different scenery to left or right. When we were there, to the left from entry there was a school of cudas always hanging out under an overhang.

I liked diving off Sunset House ok first trip there like 10 years ago, not so much anymore. Don't know which of us changed.

I agree. I liked Divetech's site over Eden Rock. E.R. was okay but the miniwall was more interesting and there was a school of Tarpon there for the two weeks we were diving it. I missed it, but some snorkellers saw a small Hammerhead swimming along the flats while we were down the wall one day. I also saw a couple of Eagle Rays glide along the wall. Sometimes you might see fully kitted up tekkies heading for the big wall to go deep, or just lazing around the ditch doing deco.

The entry is a little dicier than E.R. though, and you have to watch the Urchins that congregate below the ladder.

JohnF

We really liked diving at Turtle Creek also. Sadly, the water was a bit rough and we were only able to do one dive there, We were supposed to do a night dive there with Dive Tec and it was moved to West Bay because of weather. We hope to do it sometime in the future since I have heard that it is a nice night dive

I guess I should be more specific. I'm looking to rent a vacation rental on Grand Cayman. I want to choose a place that is close to some good shore diving. What would be a good area for us to be centrally located?

the majority of shore diving is concentrated in two areas. One area is along the shore south of Georgetown. Five different dive shops in this stretch have easy shore diving access.

The other area is in West Bay. Several options there make going for a quick dip easy if you don't get lost trying to hop from site to site.

All of these offer good diving, though the two sites closest to Georgetown are overrun on cruise ship days.

But IMHO, none of the best shore diving in Cayman is located in either area. You've got to get away from the west side to find the healthiest reefs and most dramatic drop offs that Grand Cayman has to offer.

Choosing a centrally located condo would put you along Seven Mile Beach somewhere. I would suggest looking along the northern tip of SMB where there has been less beach erosion, and there is much less traffic. It's a shorter drive to the West Bay sites, and you can take the drive into Georgetown on days with few or no cruise ships.

Back
Top Bottom