Best shallow dive for junior OW?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kellylynn

Registered
Reaction score
Hi! We're traveling to Cancun in October, and was wondering which operations along the RM offer the nicest, shallow (<40ft), dives for myself and Junior OW son. Thank you for your help,
Kelly

I don't know of any dive sites personally around Cancun. I do know there are some but are closer to Isla Majuras and/or possibly having to travel further out.

Now I do know Playa Del Carmen has some excellant dive spots. Akumel & the many cenotes which are very shallow.

I'm sure Cozumel would also have shallow diving.

Wish I could help you more.

Chankanaab is a nice relaxing 25-30' shore dive in Cozumel. PM me and I will be glad to give you additional information

There's Manchones reef off of Isla Mujeres and many sites from Puerto Aventuras and Akumal. Most sites that are in good shape these days in Cozumel are deeper. One of the best choices for a shallow site in Coz is Columbia Shallows (a bit deeper then 40ft, but popular for discover scuba and still pretty shallow)

I was in Cancun back in Feb. and we (young boys and I) dove with Nautilus. They are a small op with six pack boats so you won't have to deal with "cattle boats". Most of the reefs are shallow (compared to cozumel) so that should meet your needs. Their web site is www.divingcancun.com if you have any questions please PM me.

Hey, thanks for the information, folks. I'll be checking out all the great tips.
Kelly

Scuba Caribe and Aquaworld both take you to several shallow easy dives from Cancun.
You can access their site and see the dive sites and some have pictures.
Good Diving

Brian Day
PADI MSDT 198541

I do dive the Manchones and Chitales Reefs every couple months. They are a beautiful dive. They are within the depth Jr. Open Water Divers can dive, the reason I did not mention these sites is because there can be a strong current, some decent chop on the surface making entry back into the boat a little difficult for inexperienced divers. And your post did not mention your Son's age, size/strength. Just food for thought.

Back
Top Bottom