Best Settings for Olympus XZ1 HD Video sample

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jun Lao

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
Hi peeps,

just a bit obsessed on trying to take the best video with a XZ1, so just posting some clips shot 2 weeks ago, think this is the optimum you can get out of the oly in terms of video

the frogfish shot at 6 mtrs, the nudis were at 20 mtrs, the ribbon moray at 15 mtrs, set white balance manually at those various depths, though it had a hard time doing color correction at 15 mtrs.

Anyway steps are prior pressing that vid button
1. Set to 'C'
2. Set white balance via- 2a. on shoot mode, press right of jog wheel (by flash icon) and will show right menu icons, 2b. Select WB and select manual white balance icon, its beside the fish (underwater WB mode), 2c. Press Info which will give out 'shoot at white point prompt'. 2d. Shoot and you get color correction at that depth relative white point you've used (gray card, white card, palm hand, white fins, etc.)
3. Set Focus to Manual for wide shots to prevent focus hunting

just sharing, so everyone may avoid pressing video at a/s/m modes which if you do, you'll end up having dark videos you're whole trip, which we dont want:D

cheers :)

Great looking video! Thank you for sharing both video and the settings.

So, with some additional "legwork" it is possible to get decent video out of the XZ-1 - that's really good news. It'd be nice if there were a way to custom program a button for white balancing, rather than having to step through menus.

Henrik

Wow, Jun, thanks for sharing with us. :hugs:

I can't wait to play with the video on my XZ-1. Great nudis on the video!

So, with some additional "legwork" it is possible to get decent video out of the XZ-1 - that's really good news. It'd be nice if there were a way to custom program a button for white balancing, rather than having to step through menus.

Henrik

Yeah...I can't believe that they didn't arrange for that. One of a few disappointments.

Henrik
yup Henrik/jdfmail, was rushed during intro probably, just a tertiary vid cam, and on a marketing perspective, a dedicated movie button is a good lure, shld hav just disabled video during a/s/m modes, really confuses
Good stuff, Jun!
much thanks Marcia, :)
Wow, Jun, thanks for sharing with us. :hugs:
I can't wait to play with the video on my XZ-1. Great nudis on the video!
have a blast Sam :)

have a blast Sam :)
Jun, you've been so helpful and patient about answering all my XZ1 questions in your online postings and in PMs. I really appreciate your knowledge, it makes the XZ1 more enjoyable for a camera-challenged newbie like me. :D

Jun you have been a champion with all your threads and posts on the Oly.

Thank you so much! It has convinced me that even though the Oly has a few rough edges it still is an incredible camera and for stills it is hard to beat. And now you are proving that you can get some passable video out of it too.

So I walk into the camera shop last night with my wife and she handles the Oly and then she sees the Canon S95... game over! Its smaller therefore she wants it! And when they bring out the housings for the Canon and Oly, the Canon one is obviously far smaller, so no matter what I say her mind is made up!!! Canon it is!

So all the reviewing and research for vain!! Well at least the wife is happy! And a happy wife is a happy home!!
They are both good camera's and I'm a Canon fan so I'm not too bothered.
Thanks Jun for all the good info, but I'll be spending my time in the Canon Corner now.

Hi Jun,

Very nice tutorial. Are you using an led video light? Could you pls share your setup for both videography and photography?

Back
Top Bottom