Best Settings for Canon G12

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

louholmes

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have traded in my Canon G11 for the G12. I use it in an Ikelite housing (not retrofitted for G12 yet) and an Ikelite DS 160 Substrobe.

Unfortunately I only get to use my equipment annually on vacations with my non-diving family. I consider myself to be knowledgable and decent at taking pictutes both above and underwater, but I find it even more challaging when I'm the only diver in the boat with a camera. It seems that everyone is keeping up with a guide that doesn't seem to stop.

Under these conditions it's seems that using auto settings works best. The group doesn't even seem to stop to allow me set up any white balance settings, not to mention trying to get good composition, etc.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

My advise is to dive with more photographers or at least divers that like to stop and look at things.

IMO Auto setting is not taking advantage of the great features of the G11/G12 cameras.

Many guides are more interested in covering distance than looking for critters to show the customers. A lot of DM' are clock watchers and just want to finish the dive. Many divers feel they didn't get their money's worth unless they cover distance. I avoid them at all costs. I am fortunate enough that I don't have to deal with that here in Bohol because of whom I do my diving with and because it is primarily wall dives and it is near impossible to get lost. Nevertheless I am neither intimidated or too shy to lag behind a group in order to take photos. As stated by chinacat46 try and hook up with other photographers or at least with divers that want to see things not cover distance. I never allow the DM's to partner me with a non-camera diver. As a matter of fact I don't want any dive partner. I am diving to take photos not to monitor or be responsible for another diver and I make no bones about telling the DM, and and I'll accept any risks that go with that.

As for your settings; shoot all your photos in RAW mode especially the non-strobe shots then you don't have to calibrate white balance. You can adjust your white balance in post processing with the Canon software that came with your cameras (Digital Photo Professional). I have an example HERE
I save my strobe settings in C1 and my non-strobe settings in C2. I use M mode for the strobe shots and Tv mode for the non-strobe shots.

Great advice from both; chinacat46 and Gilliagn.

I have made it a point to talk to DM's before we start about the same ideas, slowing down for photos or getting my attention for some critter spotting. If the gudes are very familiar with the sites they usually point out where the good stuff is. One of my favorites was a large grouper in West Caicos that really like divers petting it.

Any other tips in menu settings?

Thanks

Hi there -

I would take a look at the uwphotographyguide.com website, in particular this article:

Canon G11 & Canon G12 underwater tutorial|Underwater Photography Guide

There are some good tips on what settings to use away from automatic. As a guide, I'd suggest:

> aperture priority mode to control depth of field > let the camera work out exposure, and you control DOF
> shutter speed priority mode to allow control to freeze subjects > when you know you're photographing fast moving fish, set a faster shutter speed (say 1/125 or thereabouts) - or if you are working with slow moving (nudibranches) you can set the shutter speed to slower values (e.g. 1/60 or slower)
> manual mode w. F5 + 1/100 for blue water control > then vary the shutter speed in manual mode when underwater at various depth to control the amount of blue in the water
> play around with white balance when you do not need flash and/or there is sufficient light in the water for best colour results

Another suggestion for guides/diving behaviour is to find a dive resort/company that caters to photographers. You can either look at forums on this website, or perhaps wetpixel, to find resorts that cater to photographers. At minimum briefing the guide with the fact that you have a camera should be enough, but depending on the nature of diving that won't work.. And i hope you don't pet fish on a regular basis, wildlife isn't meant for that IMHO !!!

Enjoy underwater photography!
~ Frank

It is kind of interesting to hear from "the other side". I appreciate you sharing your perspective. I just got back from a dive trip and one of our boatmates was a photographer with a very complex photo system. Personally I was very irritated when (I'll call the person "X") the divemaster pointed out a goodie and X would move in quickly and take FOREVER adjusting the strobes to get the light just right, focus, tweak, adjust other strobe, finally take one shot, study it a minute, then start the whole process over. During all this of course the rest of us are waiting in "line" or in my case after a moment or two I was just off looking for my own goodies. I was ready to apply dive knife when X chased off a couple turtles. I resolved it by making sure I was between X and the DM on those boat dives when I stayed with the crowd. About half the time my wife and I are off doing our own thing (we tell the dm not to worry about us, we will meet at the boat. That way we can just put around and closely observe stuff. There was no issue with the point and shoot crowd, only X with mega gear. If you are off doing your own thing I can't see why anyone would have an issue. Only when the photogs hog the things everyone is trying to see that were found by the DM would there be IRRITATION. Again, thanks for sharing the, dark side perspective :wink: Please accept this in the light hearted manner in which it was intended, I have never been diving with you and I'm sure you are the modicum of manners. Just like I'm the modicum of patience and understanding, well, ok, we can question my patience :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom