Best regulators scoring

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

janneau

Reaction score
Dear friends

I am a new member doing my homework prior investing into life support equipment.
I need your expert advice to pick my first regulator regardless of budget.
I am considering the new Apeks ATX100, Atomic Aquatics B2 or Z1, Zeagle Envoy, Agualand Legend or Titan LX, Scubapro MK25/S550, Sherwood maximus.

I am not a technical diver but I want to buy the best when it comes to life support.
My major concerns are:
1. quality
2. warranty and service
3. ease of breathing

Any other point I should consider or comment is welcome

Thank you in advance

I am very happy with scubapro regs but others on your list are every bit as good. If you do decide to go with scubapro, I suggest you go with the S600 (or G250HP) rather than the S550. Along with that adjustment knob which I find very useful in current, the design incorperates a seat saver feature which is not included in the S550.

I used to have SP mk25 and s550, but switched to Apeks tx100.
S600 and G250 are better regs then S550.

I have the Atomic Z1 and am extremely pleased with its performance. It performs the same on the surface as it does at over 100feet, flawlessley! The adjustment knob is handy too, and allows the reg to adapt to different environments. It seems to breath slightly wet when you are COMPLETELY vertical...and I mean completely! Also you may want to check into getting a hose with a swivel, I imagine it would help releive the hose tension greatly and increase comfort.

Good luck with your decision and your diving!

janneau once bubbled...
My major concerns are:
1. quality
2. warranty and service
3. ease of breathing
If your above 3 concerns are all important, here's a few ideas.

I would stay away from Scubapro altogether because the parts are not made available to non-Scubapro retailers. You will have a hard time getting them serviced or warrantied in remote locations. I know scuba techs that are in the business and they can't even acquire the parts! :(

I recently got a Apeks in for service and was VERY dissapointed to see they are now following the industry marketing game of shrinking down their second stage sizes. This does nothing good for performance. I don't know if they're doing this to all their regs or not, but it's a sad thing to see.

I would go with a non-swivel first stage and a good quality no nonsense second stage. In my book, this is the Abyss Explorer second with their enviro sealed first. The second stage is actually made by Kirby Morgan and is *awesome*. The second stage is what's going to give you the breathing quality and this is *THE BEST* I've ever used and I've used a lot of regs. It's also a lot less expensive than all those fancy high falutin', exotic metals, fancy marketing (that you pay for), worthless regs out there.

My other choice would be an Oceanic Zeta for a traveling reg. I didn't think I'd like this reg, but after using it for awhile, I've grown really fond of it, and this would be my choice for traveling. Oceanic is THE largest worldwide distributor of scuba gear and there's always somewhere to get service and parts. This is also a great breathing servo assisted reg and is an awesome size for travel (because of the servo assisted design, it can be small and still perform).

my .02

Corvallis SCUBA once bubbled...
In my book, this is the Abyss Explorer second with their enviro sealed first. The second stage is actually made by Kirby Morgan and is *awesome*.

Why not just get a Kirby Morgan?

The Kirby Morgan SuperFlow is a commericial regulator adapted for recreational use. The first stage was designed as a saturation bailout regulator and will deliver "high gas flow with minimal pressure drop in excess of 850-feet salt water". I love what they say about the 2nd stage "It has been dive tested to over 1600-feet. We do not recommend sport diving below 130 feet." The regulator breathes great and the 2nd stages are available in metal or plastic. There are service centers world wide.

The people at Kirby Morgan are super nice. They will bend over backwards to help you.

See: http://www.kmdsi.com/scuba.html

See SuperFlow user guide: http://www.kirbymorgan.com/manual_PDF/Scuba.pdf

How about zeagle envoy?

Does anyone used this regulator and compared to the rest top guns is it a wise buy since it is less expensive?

same for Sherwood maximus any comments???

:confused:

I have two Atomic B1's, and I highly recommend it.
The quality is outstanding. The materials and finish is really nice on the Atomic, compared to the other regulators. The other regulators are pretty good, too, but not as good as the Atomic.

Ease of breathing is also excellent. The comment that people make most about Atomic regulators is that it is the "most naturally breathing" regulator.

One downside of the Atomics, compared to the others, is that the parts are not free. I believe the other manufacturers provide free parts as long as the warranty is kept valid.
I however don't really care much for this, as you also need to service the regulator every year or the warranty is voided. The Atomic lifetime warranty is valid for the original owner, whether you service it or not. (BTW, recommended service interval is two years for B2, M1, T1.)

I like the Poseidon Jetstream the most.

And if you're willing to pay anything, I'll sell you mine for say..$1,000.00!

Divernet did a comparison and liked the Oceanic Alpha 7SP4 more than most of the most expensive regs. on the market today. The Alpha is CHEAP........er, inexpensive. And it's good.

There is so much stuff to spend your money on(camera, dry suit, boat to dive from, trips) that I wouldn't spend a heap of cash on a reg. Most of them are very good these days. And that's coming from a guy who spent a heap of cash on regs. I wouldn't do it again.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom