Best regulator for a small dive club?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thank you, DA. I also have decided on piston first stage and think that membranes are a maintenance disaster. I am not at all concerned about chlorine wear on the softies since I will have the club order them in bulk from generic suppliers. It look at this point like the choice is between MK2/Rxxx and an ODS generic. I am still in the process of getting my hands on an ODS reg to dissect it and evaluate.

Is the difference between the Rxxx models you listed merely cosmetic? I have seen a lot of R190s floating on e-bay for very little money. The only issue I see with the R190 is that it is rather bulky. Have never used one though, so I can't tell if this is much of an issue at all to be concerned about. Any thoughts?

The R190 is fine. The idea that smaller 2nd stages are somehow more comfortable in the water is a total fallacy. First, bigger means more water displacement, which means lighter while in use. Second, you don't even see the reg while in use. Third, the mouthpiece is the same for both, but the exhaust tees for larger second stages tend to be a little bigger, which can help with bubble interference. Fourth, there is a mechanical advantage for larger diaphragms which theoretically lowers the WOB on otherwise identical second stages, although in reality there's probably not a discernable difference.

This is an excellent thread.
I have learned a lot and appreciate everyone offering ideas and taking the time.
Chug
Will be happier servicing his own regs again someday.

Back
Top Bottom