Best reg for trout photos

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Big Sky Dave

Registered
Reaction score
Howdy, I'm trying to take photos of trout in streams/rivers here in Montana, and am wondering what reg might work best. I'm not concerned with deep dives - probably never get below 10 feet in the rivers. But I am concerned with spooking the fish. Trout are super spooky. I recall viewing fish at the San Francisco aqaurium years back. All the fish except the trout were just swimming around la dee dah. The trout were hiding under logs.
So I think a quiet reg with the least intrusive bubbles might work best. Also because the rivers are shallow most of the tiime I'm trying to shoot from a sideways rather than virtical position.
Water temps are 40 to 65 degrees.
Whatdaya think - suggestions, experiences please.

thanks

Sounds like if you can afford it, SCR or CCR would be what you are looking for.

Semi-closed rebreather involves very few bubbles and from what I understand, Closed Febreather involves no bubbles.

Open circuit scuba exhalation bubbles are not quiet no matter what reg you are using...

As for the trout - I've seen some in the lakes.... what I thought was really cool was last year when I dove in a lake up in the mountains and watched the salmon spawning. Yeah, yeah OK... So I'm a voyeaur :rolleyes:

Guess I should have mentioned budget. I'm thinking around $250. As for voyeaurism - do have some great shots of crayfish mating.

Big Sky Dave:
Guess I should have mentioned budget. I'm thinking around $250. As for voyeaurism - do have some great shots of crayfish mating.

Have you considered a vintage double hose regulator?

Nothing like the bubbles exiting behind your head to make you a little less frightening to the fish.

I agree a double hose reg would do nicely. With the bubbles behind you fish tend "hide" with your head between them and the bubbles.

LOL

"What kind of reg for shallow fish dives?"

"Oh, a rebreather!"

:D

Big Sky Dave:
Where can I find a double hose regulator?

You can try HERE. Kinda pricey though.

By the way i agree that double hose is the way to go. They breathe much harder than modern designs but its worth it for what your trying to accomplish IMO.

Back
Top Bottom