best reg combo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

palerider

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
After doing some research I think the best combination regulator is an Apeks dsr 1st stage with an Atomic M1 2nd stage(self adjusting) &M1 octo. On my stage bottle a Sherwood Blizzard 1st & 2nd. Any comments or suggestions would be apprieciated as I'm considering purchasing 3 sets of this combo for my sons & I.

I'm not a big fan of Sherwood 1st stages on a stage bottle. If you turn off the tank the dry bleed will stop working after a few minutes and water will enter (if you go deeper).

<25 dives and you're asking about regs for a stage bottle?

After doing some research I think the best combination regulator is an Apeks dsr 1st stage with an Atomic M1 2nd stage(self adjusting) &M1 octo. On my stage bottle a Sherwood Blizzard 1st & 2nd. Any comments or suggestions would be apprieciated as I'm considering purchasing 3 sets of this combo for my sons & I.

The M1 is a fine regulator and will be good for anything you plan on doing now or in the future, however without a specific reason, I wouldn't just randomly pick someone else's first stage, since the first stage is one of it's strong points (environmentally sealed, extremely high flow rate).

Also, having two different manufacturers means that when it comes time for service you'll either have to find a dealer that carries both (not many do) or you'll need to disassemble the reg and send the parts off to different service companies (really annoying). Or your dealer will disassemble and ship it for you, which will cost $$.

As for the stage bottle regulator, with less than 24 dives, I'd suggest learning how to plan and execute safe dives on a single tank and doing a ton more dives before getting into staged decompression (if that's what you wanted the stage bottle for).

If you wanted it as an emergency gas supply, I'd still suggest learning how to plan and execute safe dives, and practice good buddy skills instead of getting a second tank.

There's nothing wrong with a pony, however since your current recommended depth limit is 60' and you'll have a buddy, carrying a pony introduces extra task loading with no added benefits. The training you should have received in your OW class (sharing air, emergency ascents, ditching weights, etc.) works just fine at these depths. In the long run, you'll be much happier with better skills than extra equipment.

Terry

Last edited:
Hi Palerider,

Welcome to ScubaBoard! :admingreet:

I wonder if you are using the correct terminology:

Do you mean stage bottles as in a extra cylinder used for technical or decompression diving?

or

Do you mean a redundant air supply? Which is basically an extra, smaller cylinder that you would carry to use as a back up air supply (sometimes called a pony bottle, spare air, redundant supply, etc..)?

I would suggest getting comfortable with diving in shallower environments while using good diving skills (planning dives, executing them, good buddy contact, and monitoring air supply) first as you may find that this is equipment that you won't necessarily want. I do notice that you say you are diving with your sons. I can understand wanting them to be safe in the event of an emergency.

If you can supply us with a little more information, perhaps we can be of more assistance.

Last edited:
You may be over-thinking what you perceive to be "the problem".

1. Find a regulator that breathes well for you (by actually testing it while diving), and for which service and parts are available within a reasonable driving distance from where you live.

2. Buy six of them.

By purchasing 1st and 2nd stages from different manufacturers, and putting a third manufacturer's reg on your sling bottles, you create a logistical/maintenance challenge that is entirely un-necessary.

Depending on which dealers sell/service which manufacturer's product lines in your area, you might have to take one stage of your regs to one service shop and the other stage to a different service shop.

Within certain price ranges, regs that fall into each category are difficult to distinguish from one another in blindfold tests. For example, three different regs with msrp's of >$600.00 and similar WOB values are going to perform pretty much the same. It comes down to whether you're doing the work on them yourself, and if not, who is and where are they. It's the maintenance over time that is going to be important (and costly).

So do yourself a favor. Whatever you select, just purchase six of them. Unless you're doing the maintenance on them yourself, or your local dealer sells all of the lines you need, the convoluted approach you describe above makes things way harder on yourself than it needs to be.

Besides, when you're out at some remote dive site and one of your regs craps the bed, if you have six identical regs you can jury rig another of them to do the task you need done. But if you have different 'specialty' regs that you use for one purpose or another, you lose any redundancy they might otherwise provide.

Just MHO.

Regards,

Doc

<25 dives and you're asking about regs for a stage bottle?
I think its farily common at that stage to think a pony bottle is the solution to the "I need redundant gas" problem.

Last edited:
Conshelf XIV. I bought my first one in 1980 and a backup/second unit in 1995. I have never had a problem with them.

Palerider,
Re-read Web Monkey's post:
1. A setup with two different manufacturers hardware is unnecessary
2. Suggest learning how to plan and execute safe dives, and practice good buddy skills instead of getting a second tank.....since your current recommended depth limit is 60' and you'll have a buddy, carrying a pony introduces extra task loading with no added benefits.

Buy three Atomic Z2 rigs or three Scubapro or Apex rigs. Can't go wrong with either. Skip the bottle until you have 100+ dives and far more training - especially with your sons to worry about.

I dive with my 16 year old. I stress fundamentals, mental walkthroughs each and every dive. "What if" discussions for each dive. Proper buoyancy control. Safety stop without a line, etc., etc. Too much stuff to become proficient in long before worrying about pony bottles.

Good luck and dive safe.

Back
Top Bottom