best reefs for coral?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CiXeL

Registered
Reaction score
im a coral junkie. from what ive seen most people find it boring. i moved out here from california to study and eventually photograph the coral. what id like to know is what reefs have the best coral cover? im especially interested in elkhorn and staghorn coral thickets if possible. im primarily interested in stony corals not gorgonians/sea fans. again, ive met way too many people down here who find coral BORING.

I actually appreciate coral.. mostly though for the sea life that is around it.

I am a newbie diver.. and only know the areas closer to ft.lauderdale.. where there are some reefs. especially in the commercial blvd area near the pier :)

when you have a reef aquarium and see south pacific corals with blazing color. you learn to appreciate it more. suddenly the colors of the fish pale by comparison. rent coral see dreaming to see what i mean.

i know. what, you think im out to collect them? its already illegal to collect stony corals in the caribbean. what reefs do you know that have them. i saw some patches of staghorn in sand at grecian rocks with pennekamp. i heard theres a elkhorn coral forest in biscayne national park. that would be fantastic to get in pictures or on film. do you know any places where it might break the surface at low tide like with a reef crest? now that would be truely spectacular.

Try Looe Key Reef - massive star coral and stands of Elkhorn coral.

CiXeL:
i know. what, you think im out to collect them? its already illegal to collect stony corals in the caribbean. what reefs do you know that have them. i saw some patches of staghorn in sand at grecian rocks with pennekamp. i heard theres a elkhorn coral forest in biscayne national park. that would be fantastic to get in pictures or on film. do you know any places where it might break the surface at low tide like with a reef crest? now that would be truely spectacular.

no, I wasn't trying to accuse you of anything. I was simply stating a fact that didn't get a lot of press, so as to better inform anyone who might be reading this thread...sorry for the confusion and good luck with your coral:D

I don't think I'm quite the coral aficionado you are, but, when I started diving in 2004 in Puerto Rico tropical storm Jeanne had just gone through and messed up a lot of the coral. I was on the south west coast and the University of Puerto Rico along with the DNR or someone had a coral farm on the shallow snorkeling reef. It was pretty cool to watch the coral grow over the several months I was there. They tied 2-3" pieces of staghorn to metal frames. The coral would then grow from both ends. I would estimate that in 7-8 months those little pieces doubled in length. Students would come down once a year or so and harvest coral and take it to help reef recovery in hurricane damaged areas.

Good luck with your hunt for staghorn and elk horn in the SF area, sorry I couldn't be more help.

I'd have to say that Molasses and Snapper's Ledge in Key Largo have a very good hard coral cover, especially Snapper's Ledge, as it is one of the most newly discovered reefs in Key Largo.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom