best prices on nauticam nex5 housing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Md Spear

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just got a sony nex 5 and wondering where to buy the nauticam housing and which shop offers competitive pricing on nauticam. I plan to use my nikonos 15mm w/ the nauticam nex5 set up.

looks like no one here in Maryland sells the housing.

thanks for any info you have.

The US rep for Nauticam happens to be on the Spree right now. I'll ask when he wakes up.

Well, the Nauticam rep's response was "we don't discount". So, you are on your own to make the best deal with a vendor you can. He is actually shooting the NEX-5 on this trip. What a sweet little camera.

thanks for the info. it will be fun getting everything set up

I just got a sony nex 5 and wondering where to buy the nauticam housing and which shop offers competitive pricing on nauticam. I plan to use my nikonos 15mm w/ the nauticam nex5 set up.

looks like no one here in Maryland sells the housing.

thanks for any info you have.

I just ordered my kit from: Reef Photo & Video!, The Underwater Photo Pros
Tony or Richard will help you with all you need to get the Sony ready for U/W photography. I can't wait to get mine
Deb

I think Reef is a great place to get one as well. The housing is really nice, and the adapter for Nikonos rocks, just be aware that it will not be nearly as wide as it was on the Nikonos camera since the crop factor is 1.6. Also, you should know that there is one for sale right now on ebay that can save you a few $, but I still would recommend getting one from an authorized dealer, they know how the stuff works and goes together.
Bill

I just picked up my housing and accessories last night for my Sony NEX-5. Reef Photo was very helpful. Can't wait to get in the water and try it out!

... be aware that it will not be nearly as wide as it was on the Nikonos camera since the crop factor is 1.6. ..
Bill

Minor correction: the crop factor is 1.5 for Sony, inherited from Minolta. The smaller Canon DSLRs have a crop factor of 1.6, which is possibly the source of the confusion. Regardless, the 15mm Nikonos lens becomes a 22.5mm lens, and is still quite spectacular optically. I'm curious about the 12mm fisheye. Is it a so-called diagonal fisheye that fills the fills the 35mm frame, or does it make a smaller circular image? If circular, this could be very nice on cropped sensor bodies.

As for suppliers, I've always found Optical Ocean to be relaible:
http://www.opticaloceansales.com/nauticam-housings-accessories/nauticam-sony-nex5-housings-accessories/nauticam-na-nex5-housing-for-sony-nex-5-camera/prod_711.html

Last edited:
yeah , one of my goals is to shoot digital video w/ the nikonos 15mm w/ no strobe as this nex 5 does well in low light

Back
Top Bottom