Best priced high quality BP/wings combo???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sidemount or die!!!

Guinness is in the "special" fridge:wink:

Tomorrow is car bomb Thursday. Wanna attend?

As appealing as car bomb Thursday sounds (***?), I am forced to spend all day today reconfiguring my gear for this weekend’s dives (backmount is so passe!). Maybe next week?

I am really taken with the idea of seeing everything right out in front of you. Sidemount is only half a solution as you still have to swivel your head to see both your tanks. And if I’m no longer blindly trusting my buoyancy, I’m thinking I might need to modify my frog to keep an eye on propulsion. Any suggestions?

plankspanker:
Me neither! Imagine how much easier it would be to control buoyancy if you could actually see your BC (buoyancy controller). Why must they make it so complicated?
The funny thing is, what you are asking for is how it was before the backplate was invented. History of the Backplate by its inventor (and DiveRite founder) Greg Flanagan. :eyebrow:

Knowing plankspanker, I'm pretty sure he was being sarcastic....

DiveGolfSki:
If I follow both of your thinking, then we should be carrying our tanks also up front ... :wink:
Close... the technical diver of the future will tuck a tank under his mask strap, one on each side of his/her head. The tanks will be inverted and if they are manifolded, the manifold should be run underneath the chin. Viola, no more fumbling blindly to shut down posts.

JeffG:
I'm not sure. I can see the advantage of moving the plate to the front.

To me it seems that you would become inherently unstable if you did that.

If your lift is coming primarily from under your chest, any surge, current, bump, etc. that caused a minor rolling moment would flip you over.

Think about it... Imagine a pendulum. When it's hanging down, weight at the bottom, support at the top, if you swing it, it will return, eventually, to its initial position. Now flip it over. Balance it so that the weight is above the support point. Push on it at all and it's going to swing over and down.

Were you that pendulum, you'd now be inverted with very little chance of righting yourself.

Blackwood:
To me it seems that you would become inherently unstable if you did that.

If your lift is coming primarily from under your chest, any surge, current, bump, etc. that caused a minor rolling moment would flip you over.

Think about it... Imagine a pendulum. When it's hanging down, weight at the bottom, support at the top, if you swing it, it will return, eventually, to its initial position. Now flip it over. Balance it so that the weight is above the support point. Push on it at all and it's going to swing over and down.

Were you that pendulum, you'd now be inverted with very little chance of righting yourself.
Think of a weeble...they wobble, but don't fall down

The single largest category you can save money in is by using a single piece webbing harness, often referred to as a "Hogarthian" harness. It is probably the least flashy piece on the PB/W system, but in my book the single most important piece if your desire is to be more streamlined and have a less "bulky" rig. The single piece harness is both cheaper and better, in my opinion.

Mark Vlahos

I totally agree

Tristessa:
The single largest category you can save money in is by using a single piece webbing harness, often referred to as a "Hogarthian" harness. It is probably the least flashy piece on the PB/W system, but in my book the single most important piece if your desire is to be more streamlined and have a less "bulky" rig. The single piece harness is both cheaper and better, in my opinion.

Mark Vlahos

I totally agree

The thing I'm having trouble with is the whole peanut butter/wings setup, not the harness.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom