Best place you've seen for FROGFISH!?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

QBit

Registered
Reaction score
I am living in Southeast Asia many places.
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello everyone!

I an new here, but I am loving this message board.
Of course, diving too. One of my favorite things to see is the FROGFISH!

I have been to Lembeh and I love it.
I was jsut wondering which is the best place you have been to for seeing these fish!?

Any amazing stories?

Thanks!

Yup, Lembeh is great for frogfish ... also Popo, south of Manado on the other side, and the Sangihe archipelago, the chain of islands running north from Bunaken/Lembeh almost to the Philippines.

They look like cartoon fish to me, and I liked one sighting in Lembeh where a giant painted froggie was alone crossing a "meadow" of short mossy grass ... made me think of a lone buffalo crossing the prairie. We watched him for a long time as he walked, kind of wallowing side to side, across the bottom, ignoring us as he made his way.

I saw maybe 6 on the Mabul house reef in Borneo, and 4 on Saipan in the same area.

As I recall, Lombok was a good place for them too(although that was a few years ago).

I saw a few in Padangbai and Tulamben (where there is good muck diving at Coral Garden, just down from the USAT Liberty wreck site)

Otherwise in Puerto Galera, Philippines, there are always a few (if you can find them) on the Sabang Wrecks, 18m shore dive. Last time I was there I saw one moving from one wreck to another - about 15m - previously I've only seen them sitting still

In Lembeh there is really a lot of them. The problem is that is difficult to have a nice pic with the balck sandy bottom.

So I think I´ll choose Phillipines as my favourite place for frog fish, because usually they are sorrounded by nice corals, that means nicer pics.

hv seen in P. Weh, sangyang, lembeh (abundant at the right time), bunaken, popo, secret bay, amed and Tulamben.
This cute fish picture was taken by my daughter at Tulamben on our trip, mid October 2009
frogfish19.jpg

Qbit,
the local guide told me lembeh critters are seasonal. we can find easily on particular time but can't recall when the best time to visit lembeh for frogfish.
I'll be visiting lembeh in 2 weeks time, I'll check more detail about frogfish - and I'll count how many frogfish we'll see there.

cheers

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom