Best place to stay in Tulamben?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Deur

Registered
Reaction score
We are thinking about going to Tulamben for 5 or 6 days at the end of June and are trying to decide what the best place is to stay. I want to go diving as much as possible, while GF wants a place to relax (=enjoy the sun, food 3 times a day and a good bed). I am looking for a place that offers organised diving (no buddy, unless I walk into someone out there, and not yet into solo diving), but also need the food and the bed :) .

Had a look around on the net and came up with the following places:
Tauch Terminal;
Scuba Seraya;
Tulamben Wreck Divers;
Matahari Resort.

Hoping to hear some of your thoughts about these (or other) places both from a diving and non-diving perspective.

Deur

I stayed at Tulamben Wreck Divers in December 2006.

I wrote up a report of my stay and the diving there - Bali Scuba Diving

Basically, Tulamben Wreck Divers is a great place, run by an Aussie bloke Tony and his wife Dot. They are lifelong divers and have retired to Tulamben. Their resort is quite small and doesn't have its own restaurant, but it does have a good pool and has some very nice "penthouse" suites which are around $40 US a night. There are several good restaurants in the village, including one directly opposite the Wreck Divers resort.

Divewise it's great - the Balinese guides are friendly and very knowledgable, will go with you any time you want, even if it's just you - I did three dives starting at 5.30am and my guide, Made, was always there before me and with a smile too!

For your partner the resort might not be luxurious enough to keep her entertained for three days if she is not diving. The whole village is pretty sleepy and ramshackle although some of the other resorts did look quite posh - and pricey to match. Unfortunately I can't remember their names offhand...

It depends what you're after. PM me if I can help further

Cheers
Chris

I've been to Scuba Seraya twice and found it excellent. It's almost exactly what you describe as ideal. Beautiful bungalows, nice pool, massage service, dive center at the resort (with camera facilities even), step-into-the-site diving, as much diving as you want with dive times tailored to your needs and bottom time based on air/comp readings (I've done two hours dives at the house reef). They have barbecue dinners a couple of times a week and for other meals there is the regular menu.

I was there at the same time as Quero in October. There is always a DM to go diving with, my GF did the same as yours, right out in front of the resort. Excellent diving and facilities. Highly recommended.

Scuba Seraya is the place that is always suggested to me from friends who have been there. Sounds wonderful.

I know Tony and Dot at TWD and you'll have a good time diving with their operation and your girlfriend might like the more isolated, rustic charm...but this is something I'd discuss in detail with her since she'll be the one sitting by herself most of the day!

Have fun!

Okay, you wicked Diver Denis...

I'm opening up Eva Air's website and booking my LAX-DPS ticket NOW (in their excellent deal Evergreen deluxe section of course!)

Looking out my computer desk window I can see where it's snowing just up in the hills-and I'm in danged ol TUCSON ARIZONA!

Desperately jonesing for some Bali bagus
Pamela

Hi. I stayed at Tauch Terminal 3 years ago. It is 3-star, fairly reasonably-priced and has a pool, good dive-op on site. The restaurant is so-so but fairly cheap (lunch for US$3-4). They can also arrange for other activities/trips (more on these later). Most of their guests are Europeans (French and Germans) who are on month-long paid vacations (made my very jealous). The dive op employs Australian senior instructors, but the majority of the instructors, DMs, and staff are locals and are very friendly. They even have local women carry your gear to the entry point for shore dives - I like this because I see my money going to support the local community. Most of the staff speak some English and a major plus is their location - right on the water and the Liberty wreck. Diving with them is fairly reasonably-priced (+10% discount if you bring your own gear) and offer different dives: the Liberty wreck, shore dives (many dive sites accessible from shore) and boat dives (Blue Lagoon, Nusa Penida, Nusa Dua, Amed etc).
But if you're looking for a more exclusive (better service, fewer guests), I've heard good reviews on Seraya. I'd also like to recommend an even more exclusive Villa Agung Bali Nurwana (I stayed there 2 years ago), which is 15 mins drive to the west (on the way to Singaraja), transportation to/from Tauch Terminal can be arranged. This is more than a step up from Tauch Terminal - very good service, great chef, and off the touristy path. It is very private (no chance of being bombed by terrorists), eco-sensitive and yet luxurious (you have your own villa), and have their own beach and house reef. Their website is:
http://www.agung-bali-nirwana.com/
Also, there are many activities which you and your GF can do aside from diving. These include spa/Balinese massage, shopping for arts & craft at Ubud (carvings, masks, furniture, paintings, woven/painted fabrics, jewellery etc), visiting waterfalls and temples, climbing hills and valleys, watching traditional Balinese dance, tasting exquisite local dishes such as Babi Guling (BBQ pig) and curries etc, all of which can be arranged by your hotel/resort.
Have a great trip.

opalobsidian:
Okay, you wicked Diver Denis...

I'm opening up Eva Air's website and booking my LAX-DPS ticket NOW (in their excellent deal Evergreen deluxe section of course!)

Looking out my computer desk window I can see where it's snowing just up in the hills-and I'm in danged ol TUCSON ARIZONA!

Desperately jonesing for some Bali bagus
Pamela

Always glad to help...:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom