Best Place to Live - For a Diver.....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

netmage

Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hey Folks,

I got a letter from my apartment building informing me they are going condo... so now It looks like I may have to move in August. Fortunately there are some options to do a "virtual office" gig with my job, so I'm exploring the possibility of relocating & wondering where the best place to live would be.

I'm more into Wrecks than Reefs, and I've gotten the cave bug a little. Off the top of my head Orlando looks like the best, someplace where I can easily get to Cave Country & Ft. Lauderdale/Pompano areas for weekend get-aways & major airline hub for when I need to travel for work.

Thoughts?

Lauderdale By The Sea,You have the Keys and Wrecks to the South,short drive,The wrecks Out OF Ft.Lauderdale,The Reefs Man!! of Boynton TO Plam Beach are the best,Less than a half day Road trip to the caves and springs,Not cheap to live, but if you look around rentals can be found go to the SunTimes web site adds, and Im sure a few of the conchs can help you out they are the best!
I work to dive ! and need air to live under water ! and that cost's money?That sucks!
Brad
Wish I could do virtual Earthwork from Florida! Good luck! SunTimes is a great start for rentals!

netmage:
Hey Folks,

I got a letter from my apartment building informing me they are going condo... so now It looks like I may have to move in August. Fortunately there are some options to do a "virtual office" gig with my job, so I'm exploring the possibility of relocating & wondering where the best place to live would be.

I'm more into Wrecks than Reefs, and I've gotten the cave bug a little. Off the top of my head Orlando looks like the best, someplace where I can easily get to Cave Country & Ft. Lauderdale/Pompano areas for weekend get-aways & major airline hub for when I need to travel for work.

Thoughts?

I've said it before and say it again. Orlando is a great place to be! Center of the state and always something happening. From Wine fest to City Park JAzz festivals including Chilli Cookoffs, Museum Exhibits and The Fourth of July in the Park with Classical overtures to background the fireworks. It is hard to beat. However your fold out couch will get a workout from all the people visiting the theme parks.

Eric

You currently live in Chicago and you want to move to a good dive spot?

someplace warm, where the rum flows like a river and the beer is the nectar of the god's!!

oh wait, that would be me, sorry..

Rookie_J:
You currently live in Chicago and you want to move to a good dive spot?

Don't get me wrong - I have no problem w/ the diving here in Chicago, cold dark murky - love it. Just nothing tie'ing me down here. Plus the lake can be very tempermental at times, drive all the way to Milwaukee to find out we've been blown out. Shore Diving would make for a nice cheaper outlet, and a lower cost of living helps out things in general....

Orlando Eric:
I've said it before and say it again. Orlando is a great place to be! Center of the state and always something happening. From Wine fest to City Park JAzz festivals including Chilli Cookoffs, Museum Exhibits and The Fourth of July in the Park with Classical overtures to background the fireworks. It is hard to beat. However your fold out couch will get a workout from all the people visiting the theme parks.

How's the diving around Orlando...? Are there good year-round options within an hours drive....?

I guess I'm going to have to crack that Deloach book I picked up last year....

netmage:
Hey Folks,

Thoughts?

Man looks like were losing another Wrecker. The GLWC forum is thining out pretty fast these days.

Ft Lauderedale is great. I love it here. You have shore diving at your front door. lots of local wrecks at various depths and levels of experience. The Keys are a short drive to the south, head north and find the caves. Warm water to dive all year. Sounds a lot better than the "Windy City"

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom