Best place to do Advanced dive course on Caribbean coast?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hi there,

I'm looking for the best place to do my PADI advanced dive course between Cancun and Chetumal.

I want thorough instruction but would ideally like to be somewhere that accommodations are inexpensive. I was leaning towards Puerto Morelos. Advice? Recommendations? I prefer a quieter, more laid-back, less touristy town to a bustling, touristy metropolis.

I could also do the course in Belize but I understand that Belize can be more costly than Mexico. I might prefer to save my 'regular' dives for Belize while doing the course elsewhere. Your thoughts?

Thanks in advance,
HH

Hi HH,

Personally, we prefer Akumal to PM. Better beaches and closer to the cenotes. Also having stayed one week in PM, it is just not to our taste.

Neither myh wife or me has done any training in Mexico but my advice would be to go with a shop that teaches cave diving. You are much more likely to get a top notch instructor from one of them. You might want to check out the Akumal Dive Center or Aquanauts in Puerto Adventuras.

To meet your requirements - it is easy. Just pick a small town and it will meet your requirements. It really is dependent on your desire to drive south.

Puerto Morelos is a good choice and only 1/2 an hour from the Cancun Airport.

Go a bit south Akumal, Tulum , Mahahual, Xcalak - these are good for 'laid back".

The diving in these locations is about the same as Belize - same Meso-American reef system - 700 miles.

I did my Advanced dive course with Mayan Aqua Dive in cancun Karl was my instructor he is very through and patient the staff was great the boat is nice great dive shop you will be happy with there service experience

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom