best place to buy tanks????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am looking to purchase 4 AL 80's. Any recommendations on where to begin my search???? Thanks yall, happy diving!

Craigslist, Diveshops, Fill stations, word of mouth.
Pensacola has many divers there, you should do OK.
Educate yourself on Alloys used for aluminum tanks.
There are tanks out there that nobody will fill.
It's a safety thing. Good luck.

keep in mind, any new tank purchase that requires shipping will likely come to you without a VIP and the valve removed. You will pay a "penalty" at your LDS to get a new VIP, and if you are wanting it for EAN, likely another charge, even if the tank & valve is O2 clean from the shipper. Factor those costs, and shipping, into any comparison to buying from your LDS. Sometimes the cost gap closes significantly. Occasionally, there are shops that include an air card for X fills when purchasing locally too.

Not saying one way is best, but things may not be as they seem on the surface....

Divepros in town will sometimes has old tanks that they bought and serviced. They had a set of 80's recently for like 109 each(new hydro and vis). You can also check craigslist but know what you are buying before buying. MBT divers will not fill the old Al tanks, Divepros will as long as you have the eddy current (if needed). ScubaShack I think will fill anything :)

If you already have a tank I also recommend getting your own transfill whip. That way if you buy a new tank you can put a couple hundred PSI in it. New tanks bought on line often come from the dealer with a VIP sticker from that dealer already applied. Put the valve on, toss a couple hundred PSI in with the whip, and then take it to get filled. No new vis needed until the one that came with it expires.

If you already have a tank I also recommend getting your own transfill whip. That way if you buy a new tank you can put a couple hundred PSI in it. New tanks bought on line often come from the dealer with a VIP sticker from that dealer already applied. Put the valve on, toss a couple hundred PSI in with the whip, and then take it to get filled. No new vis needed until the one that came with it expires.
many LDS will not honor a generic vip sticker. sticker should have name of facility that did the vip with its contact information. A sticker that says tank was vip with no shop name/contact number will most likely be turned away. Check with your LDS and you may be surprised. Tanks usually go for $139.-$169. here in NY.Thats new with current inspections and filled. Used can be $75.-$100. with current inspections and filled.

Why aluminum tanks :confused: Have you tried a steel tank? There are many pluses to a steel tank, that aluminum just can't offer. Might be worth it to keep saving money and rent tanks when needed.

As mentioned above many dive shops offer a fill card with new tank purchase, and with a VIP often being needed, the price for new is sometimes better at the LDS. Otherwise Craigslist rocks for used equipment. I have bought numerous steel tanks off of there. Boards like this one also have a lot of gear come up for sale at decent prices, but you have to know what you are getting, when buying used. I like to visually inspect the inside, and hydro could be of concern.

Nothing wrong with steel but some of the advantages are lost down here. It's pretty warm water and you don't need a lot to sink. Aluminum is a perfectly fine choice...and when compared with price and availability on the used market...probably not a bad idea. I own a variety of steel and aluminum myself.

Back
Top Bottom