Best Place in Asia for Sharks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was in Layang Layang last June and got to see schools of hammerheads on my morning dives everyday at Gorgonian Forest! But you're right... at the end of my trip, the sharks I saw were mostly black and white-tip reef sharks. But seriously... I'm not complaining :wink:

Been to Sipadan as well and it is the best place I've seen in SE Asia (whitetip reef, grey reef, zebra sharks and hammerheads). Burma used to be a pretty good place for sharks (Burma Banks for silvertips), but I don't know how it is nowadays with all the fishing going on.

But for sharks in tropical waters my vote goes to the Sudanese Red Sea and also to Brother Islands in the Egyptian Red Sea. Not really asia, but anyway ... Brothers has really good shark diversity. In one trip I saw grey reef sharks, whitetip reef sharks, groups of scalloped hammerheads, a threasher shark, silky sharks (snorkelled with them - interesting) and a few oceanic whitetips. There are also chances of other spieces. At sha'ab rumi south in Sudan you always have plenty of grey reef sharks that come in close enough to fill your camera frame with 15 mm optics (see my album). I have also seen schools of up to 40 hammerheads at south point several times and a whaleshark once (this is rare though). There's always the possibility of silkys and oceanic whitetips as well. Sanganeb has the same spieces. Angarosh has besides schooling hammerheads and grey reefsharks, silvertips. I have also seen an oceanic whitetip there once. Silkys is always a possibility here as well and I personally know people who have seen tiger sharks there (not me though - :( )

The Red Sea sites I mentioned generally demands a tad more from you as a diver to be really rewarding than e.g. Sipadan does. But if you go in the right time and dive them the right way, they're hard to beat.

/cheers

Back
Top Bottom