Best Place in Asia for Sharks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jiveturkey

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
The best place for big stuff that I'ved dived is probably Sipadan. Mostly white tips and grey reef sharks. Wasn't lucky enough to see hammerheads. Where do you think is the best place to go for shark encounters. I've heard Palau is good and Layang Layang. Any others?

Maldives is also good for reef sharks. There are lots of dive sites where you just head down to 20 meters and watch the parade going past (and around) you.

Both places which you have mentioned are great. In Palau, at Blue Corner, a diver would simply hook themselve to the edge of the drop-off and watch. Just like looking into an aquarium, the sharks come real near. Near enough for you to see the scratches and bite marks on the skin and also close enough for you to distinguish between the males and females.
My vote still goes to Layang Layang for variety of sharks and also the schools of hammerheads. Saw one about 50 of them !!

Not that all sharks arent' cool, I'd like to see other varies of sharks. I guess it's pretty much the same ones all around SEA.

Hello all, I'm an avid shark watcher and after doing a lot of homework and having been to Komodo, Panglao Philippines and Papua New Guinea, PNG seems to be the place for shark activity. When I say activity, I'm talking about number of different kinds of sharks and frequency of sightings. On 1 dive in Milne Bay PNG I saw many Grey Reefs, 2 Hammers, a huge Sivertip and a 12ft Sand Tiger. Later on the same trip I and 2 others were swarmed by dozens of Silkies and then got buzzed twice by a 14ft Bull Shark. They are not supposed to get that big. In Southern PNG Eastern Fields, I saw many Hammers including a Great Hammer as well as squadrons of Sivertips 30 strong. I've seen more Grey Reefs than I can shake a stick at, including a huge school of juveniles led by a big female, which is aparently a rare thing to see anywhere. I have been to PNG 4 times and never been disapointed with the shark action.
In my opinion population density has a direct impact on shark population. I saw exactly 1 Whitetip in Pangloa, the highest pop density Pacific dest. I've been to. Komodo I saw several good sized Grey Reefs, less populated. My 2 other favorite Shark dest are Turks and Caicos and the Atolls of Belize, both have very low pop densities and plenty of deep water around. The Solomons seem very promising as well. Low population, rugged terrain and deep water all around. My buddy Capt Craig of the Golden Dawn is doing a 2 month trip through the Solomons and reported some really great shark encounters in his first week there.
Also if you really want to increase your chances of seeing sharks, consider switching to a closed circuit rebreather. I did and I'll never go back to OC. Best money I've ever spent.
I'm sure there are great places still left in Asia but they're probably hard to get to, so look on a map find where there are few towns and deep water is nearby and try to get there. Happy trails.-Andy

silent running:
Also if you really want to increase your chances of seeing sharks, consider switching to a closed circuit rebreather.

I wish it were as simple as that. $$

jiveturkey:
I wish it were as simple as that. $$

Hello Greg, CCRs can be expensive but the prices are going down. There's a new very simple CCR called the Pelagian, which I think is under $4000 with training in Thailand, where the guy who makes it lives. I beleive the Sport KISS is also under $4000.
If you are handy and can become confident with CCR principles, you could pick up a used Drager SCR for under $1000 and convert it to fully closed passive O2 addition for a few 100 more. It's not a very hard conversion. I don't think there's any milling or fancy machine work involved, just some off the shelf dive and plumbing parts. I have dove with guys using these converted CCRs and they work very well, better than some off the shelf passive add CCRs. It took me about 18 months of no diving and 2 jobs to save up for my Prism and complete my training and I'm very glad I took the step. I got one mostly to see more wildlife and it has worked out very well.
The price is a big problem for many people but there are ways around it. You should check the rebreather page here on this site and at the Rebrether World site which has a whole page devoted to homebuilds and SCR-CCR conversions. Let me know if you have any other questions about this stuff.-Andy

Wow -- what dive operation did you use? I'd love to go to sites that regularly see that kind of quantity and variety of sharks. Thanks!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom