Best Place for Strobe Parts

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jax,

Did you get the YS-01 used or overseas? I thought they came with a diffuser and a mount bolt.

Not trying to pry, but I am curious as I am about to get a YS-01 also. - Thanks

Jax,

Did you get the YS-01 used or overseas? I thought they came with a diffuser and a mount bolt.

Not trying to pry, but I am curious as I am about to get a YS-01 also. - Thanks

Used . . . . Quite the deal, so buying the extra parts is 'okay'

FYI: Book says it comes:

YS-01 (head0
Diffuser
Diffuser strap
Silicon Grease
Fixing Bolt
O-ring maintenance manual
YS-Instruction manual

No optical cable, though, and Yikes! they're expensive.

You may want to consider this one: 10Bar Sea & Sea F/O Sync Cord - Sync Cords - Strobes
Give Jack a call and he should be able to help you out.

Yay, I got my YS-01!!! (Head only)

Now I need the diffuser, the mount-bolt, and a camera + strobe mount. :hm: Which one? I have the Canon case for the G-10.

Hey, Puffer, I bet you didn't think it would take me a year to get around to this! Thanks so much for all your advice!!!!! :hugs:

Glad to hear it. I might have an extra bolt...and you can get a ten bar optical cable from Jack as posted above.

He can also get you all the parts. I'm sure he would have answered, but he is out diving for a few more days. (hope the water was cloudy).

That cable included the velcro that attaches to the case...and works really well, not sure that you don't want to cover it (as it is fairly transparent), but would try without it first. The connector does not have the right angle built in it, so you have to bend it down... but the price is right and it works really well.

Reactions: Jax
How about the camera . . . tray? and strobe arm assembly?

What's "best", and why?

(I love shopping through Scubaboard!)

What's "best", and why?

That is easy...Jack has these arms that are machined out of a solid lump of aluminum. Nothing to break, should never wear out (ok, one might have to replace the o-ring)

Price is amazingly low for what you get.

This should work for one strobe:

Modular Single Tray & Handle - Trays & Handles - Trays, Arms, Handles & Clamps - Optical Ocean Sales Underwater Photo - 800-359-1295!

The arms are these guys:

i-DAS Pro-Quality Lighting Control - Trays, Arms, Handles & Clamps - Optical Ocean Sales Underwater Photo - 800-359-1295!

He has cheaper arms, but they tend to get loose with usage, and loose sucks.

I've owned 4 different companies arms, and these are the best I have every used.

Now the hard part.. if you look at the bottom of your case, you will see the tripod mount is metal and sticks up a bit from the case. If you attach that to a metal tray, it will slide around.

You get a piece of rubber, just a tiny bit thicker that the height it sticks up, cut to as large a shape as will fit under the housing and runs to the lip on the front of the tray, and then cut out the shape of the tripod mount.

When you attach the camera, it will tighten the case down, pinching the rubber between the two, and the camera will not move.

You can then hold everything by the camera.. with one hand.

Reactions: Jax
You can get a pack of 50-100 Buna-N or Viton o-rings for under $4.00 from W.W. Grainger in Tucson. Grainger Industrial Supply - put o-ring in the search box, they sell about 4000 different ones.

Measure your o-ring carefully and cross-reference it on the chart here - you want the AS568A -#. That's how they reference them - so does everyone else in industry. Size Cross Reference

You might also try a hydraulic supplier in your area. (forklifts, hydraulic rams etc.)
I bought 6 - 3 different sizes for about $1.25 total over the counter at one here. He almost let me have them free.

My buddy has the ULCS system - bought from Reef. Tray, handle, two arms, three clamps plus the adapter for his light were $300...but it's very nice stuff. Would be on my short list for "best".

You guys are awesome! :hugs:

What's "best", and why?

My vote for trays and arms is ultralight. ULCS, never break, never wear out, not cheap but you will never have to buy them again.
Bill

Back
Top Bottom