Best Pic Storage Device??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mjh

Contributor
Reaction score
Have already gone thru my laptop woes, plus just don't want to pack it on long trips. Looking for a small storage device that would say cover pics from a 2 week dive trip. Paramaters: shooting RAW, would be nice if has screen for review, under or around US$300.

Suggestions??????

I went with the Flash Trax with a 30 gig hard drive. It has a sreen to view the photos. I shoot shq with the 5050-z and I have never run out of space YET. I plug it into my desktop to print and clear the Flash Trax before the next trip. It does come with different size hard drives. But what I have found out is the quality of my photos far exceeds the monitor and desktop monitors ability to show the quality, when I print with the Epson Photo R800 it makes me SMILE! And yes I understand why that is.

We just came back from a 2 week stint.....took a FLASHTRAX by Smartdisc....40Gig....It was great! The are about $450 for the 40...but you can get a 20 for $300+. We are finding that they are sensitive to humidity.....so keep that in mind. Our camera is a C5050. We brought back 1,700 photos. In the editing process now.

WOW 1700 pictures, your going to need to take time off just to sort thru them. When you say sensitive to humidity do you mean: don't take it on the dive boat with you or can't be used in non-airconditioned bungalow in Roatan?

Yeah....the editing is taking too long....I think we have learned to edit more on the trip as we go. We are down to about 800 now. It is going to be days of editing....then setting up a show for the dive club. Maybe next months meeting.
What happened was....we were on the boat in Palau...HIGH humidity. We kept the data collector in the camera room...where it was clean but not AC'd. It started acting up...freezing then shutting down. We were worried and upset about the possibility of loosing pic's. It occurred to us about the humidity so we moved it to the room with AC. The problem cleared up with no residuals...but we didn't leave it out anymore. Short times didn't bother it....but all day did. I would say...yes you can take it on the dive boat providing you keep it dry....and NO you can't leave it in humidity indefinately. I bet you can keep it in a sealed container like a pelican box to keep the humidity from penetrating it and still use it in a humid condition....

I use a Belkin media reader with my iPOD. If you have an iPOD, it's a relatively cheap solution but not if you don't. It doesn't have a screen and basically transfers your pics from your card to the iPOD's hard drive. You can then transfer to your laptop or pc. I use it for back up as I have had enough card capacity so far.

verona:
I use a Belkin media reader with my iPOD. If you have an iPOD, it's a relatively cheap solution but not if you don't. It doesn't have a screen and basically transfers your pics from your card to the iPOD's hard drive. You can then transfer to your laptop or pc. I use it for back up as I have had enough card capacity so far.

Let me echo Verona, the Belkin attachment to the Ipod works very well (and it's cheap).

However, if you're interested in burning to CD's instead of depending on a hard drive take a look at the Nixvue Vizor.

Back
Top Bottom