Best P&S for $300?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hemlon

Contributor
Reaction score
I am looking to buy my first point and shoot underwater camera and I want to stay in the $300 budget range.

What do you suggest?

Too little info to work with; Tell us a little more about what you want/need out of your pictures. Follow the stickies in this forum to get a better idea of what Q's to ask. Don't expect to get it right without doing a little digging yourself.

Ummm..ok.

I want a p&s in the $300 range. I want a small camera that can easily be stuffed inside a BC pocket. I do not want to take National Geographic quality shots, but rather just capture what I might see. (I'm an experienced land photographer and I know the limitations of the average p&s camera.)

New Olympus FE-3010 for $149.99 and PT-046 for $129.99 aren't a bad combo. Camera is 12MP and has intelligent auto plus 3 underwater modes and a couple of macro settings that make it pretty good for UW photography.

Jack

New Olympus FE-3010 for $149.99 and PT-046 for $129.99 aren't a bad combo. Camera is 12MP and has intelligent auto plus 3 underwater modes and a couple of macro settings that make it pretty good for UW photography.

I could be wrong... I too was looking around for a good starter package and I think I looked at this one as well; the specs only say a 1 or 2gb memory card. Is this an absolute limit or will the camera take a larger card, perhaps with the microSD adapter?

Ken

I am in the same boat...looking for low cost and something to start with.

If you are looking for a deal try the Fuji f100fd (tristatecamera.com $259.99 less $100.00 Fuji rebate) and the case Fuji WP-FXF100 (on E-Bay search WP-FXF100 and you will see a seller has the case for $99.99). I received the case and is 100% Fuji. Quite a deal for $259.99 total. I have read the Fuji f100fd is a good camera for scuba, certinly not as good as a pro camera but for the price wow what a deal.

You should also be able to find a deal on the Fuji F50fd and it's case for about $300
The Fuji F series are the cameras to beat in the price range.

The Oly's all use xD media that only comes in 2MB size. BUT they now come with an adapter that allows them to use mini-SD media, that's cheap and comes in fairly large sizes at least 4 & 8 MB.

BTW, I found out yesterday that the PT-46 will be delayed a couple of weeks in shipping.

Jack

Actually that should be micro-SD, but they are cheap and plentiful in 4MB sizes.

Jack

Back
Top Bottom