Best On-line Movie Site and Type of Connection for HD TV?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cacia

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Aloha, any of you smart computer types have an opinion about the best way to do this?

I have the HDMI input on the 47" TV but I think I need a new computer (this one only has USB and VGA output)

It is really confusing (quality issues from laptop to lcd TV) to me but I am totally over Blockbuster and even Netflix.

(are we there yet?) Thanks for any help/advice.

A computer with an HDMI output is the best route to go - one cable carries the audio and image, making hookup a breeze. Does the TV have a VGA input (mine does)? It makes for a quick hookup of you don't have HDMI capabilities.

Also, I've heard that some computer-based HD-players will not output to HDMI due to some stupid sort of content protection. Shouldn't be an issue for downloads, but if you're buying HD-DVD or blue-ray its something you should look into first.

As for movie downloads, I don't know. I have a movie store in the ground floor of my apartment. Makes on-line rentals inconvenient.

Bryan

Some questions/points to consider:

What's the consistent throughput of your broadband connection? DSL or Cable? It affects how quickly you can start watching a movie while it's downloading.

Most movie download sites have different resolutions based on your access speed. With your HDTV you'll likely want the better quality versions. Some online video sites (Amazon) stream as fast as 2.5MBPS, most are in the 300-1500KBPS range.

What's the speed/memory of your laptop? You'll need a pretty fast processor to be able to cleanly stream Standard Def. movies now. I don't know what will be needed when someone starts streaming Hi-Def. Although somebody probably is by now, I just haven't seen it.

Better laptops have HDMI output options now. And your choice of Blu-Ray or HD-DVD player/burner.

But consider a Media Center PC (horizontal desktop) for upgradeability. Face it you're never going to need less hard drive space once you start building a library. So adding additional storage will be easier. Especially if you want to store/play DVD's also.

There's some pretty slick ones that come with remotes and Windows Vista. Most of the download sites use a propietary interface that runs on Windows Media Player. iTunes is the exception but you won't like the quality of iTunes movies on your 47" screen.

Otoh if you want to use a laptop you can buy long HDMI cables to have the laptop near you, but cables much over 16' sell for over $200.

I personally haven't seen a great (legal) movie site yet. I think the best one so far is Amazon's. Amazon.com Unbox video downloads: TV shows, movies... Here's a link to other options: Which Movie Download Site Is Best? The article was written last January so there may be better options now.

There's also the new service Vudu, but it's based on their propietary set top box.

are we there yet?
With a fast connection and newer hardware I'd say yes. Netflix even started offering streaming movie downloads recently so there must be some demand. Anyone with a 5-10MBPS connection probably wouldn't be able to tell what the source is, slower than that you probably shouldn't use your connection to websurf simultaneously.

thank-you, thank-you!

I am looking at the power book or a new lap-top with HDMI. I bought the connector cables yesterday at the apple store (my daughter already has the power book, I'll just borrow it for now to watch a movie...)

Wow, you all really know this stuff. I saw a list in a magazine of the "best movie download sites" and there was about five listed and I assumed they would be legal. I thought it was in Men's Health but I cannot find it now.

You have given me a lot to sink my teeth into--thanks for taking the time to bang that out.

Back
Top Bottom