Best non-liveaboard diving in Cuba?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That is if you're American. The rest of the world doesn't have any restrictions in travel to Cuba. Remember this board has members from around the world :)

Yeah, don't you know, the forbidden travel requirements for "freest country in the world."

That is if you're American. The rest of the world doesn't have any restrictions in travel to Cuba. Remember this board has members from around the world :)

Oh, I am aware. I believe the person who asked the question was from the US.

I'm heading there in March, unless the political climate changes dramatically. My problem is I don't want a prepackaged trip and am wondering what documentation I will need in order to return to the states. Any ideas?

I'm heading there in March, unless the political climate changes dramatically. My problem is I don't want a prepackaged trip and am wondering what documentation I will need in order to return to the states. Any ideas?

I just came back from Cuba on the 17th. I didn't need any documentation at all. I flew Southwest from Fort Lauderdale to Havana and used "Journalistic Activity" as my reason (photography as a hobby).

It was surprisingly easy, especially considering how tough I thought it was gonna be based on the comments of this thread. Also worth noting, I brought all my equipment and full camera rig and no questions at all.

Channel near Sante Fe (23.04000, -82.60540)
MIhW46b.jpg

Wall in Miramar, Havana (23.12070, -82.43250)
Fukoxik.jpg

Last edited:
I packed my equipment in my luggage except for my dive computer. Galeleo Sol. That brought out supervisors and big questions. They would not let be show them what it was but asked if it was a gps. This is my 5th trip to Cuba and it is not for the diving or the food but the people are nice.

Got back last night from 6 weeks on the island, from Santiago de Cuba in the east to Havana. Dived Chivirico, near Santiago, and Santa Lucia. They were OK- I wasn't super excited upon exiting. I wanted to dive the "Cristobol Colon," the Spanish war ship sunk during the Cuban War for Independence in 1898 (what our nationalist-chauvinistic mindset labels the "Spanish-American" war), but couldn't find enough takers to make the hour drivewith me. But I think it's worth it. Dived a nice wreck in the channel near Sta. Lucia that had nicely colored sponges and coral, a green moray, lobsters, and a few other critters I recognized. Four years ago I enjoyed shore diving the colorful reef, small wrecks, swim throughs and short caves, off Playa Giron. Did not go in there this trip.
Going through US Customs was very brief. He asked if I had anything to declare: "some cigars"? That was it. No justifications or reason necessary.

So, in Playa Larga or Playa Giron, where do you all suggest staying for the best dive and stay opportunities. I don't need five star but I need equipment as I don't have room to take mine.

I don't know what kind of accommodations you were planning on staying in, but I strongly suggest you stay in casas particulares, licensed private homes that have one or several rooms set up to house tourists. It's one of the best ways to get to know Cuba on a more intimate level, living with a family, while having your own comfortable private room and bath. You could not do better than stay with Duniel and Maite, "El Barbero," in Playa Giron. He has 3 separate newly renovated rooms that would fit your family, a nice outdoor patio to hang out in, and, like no other home, they have a nice small pool. He is very considerate with a great sense of humor. They serve great meals, breakfasts, and dinners if you want, which I recommend. You can contact him at dunielbarbero@gmail.com. Book as far in advance as you can since his home is very popular. Tell him Ryan sent you (no, I don't get anything out of it :)). He's a good guy, you'll love your stay with him. The dive shop at the hotel Villa Playa Giron in town will pick you up at your casa in an old school bus, and they have all needed equipment for rent (your family could go with you on the bus and hang out on the beach while you do shore dives). You'll also have the giant Cienaga de Zapata, a national park/preserve swamp, with tons of wildlife, including crocodiles, for which you can hire a boat and tour guide for a day's tour. Museo de Playa Giron tells the story of what we call the Bay of Pigs invasion. There are public beaches for swimming and laying in the sand. Cueva de los Peces has cenote snorkeling and diving. Caleta Buena is a natural pool with beautiful water and swimming, a nice beach, and food buffet and bar for hanging out for a day. Playa Giron is muy tranquilo, a small quiet town with a strong sense of community.

Last edited:
Btw, I went to Cuba to study Spanish, with a couple different casa owners-Spanish teachers, to take some veterinarian supplies for an organization in Santiago, and to meet and talk with people, reason #5 in OFAC requirements. Upon return there was nothing, no records or activity schedules, required to support an official "valid" reason for visiting.

So, in Playa Larga or Playa Giron, where do you all suggest staying for the best dive and stay opportunities. I don't need five star but I need equipment as I don't have room to take mine.

I also recommend staying at a Casa Particulares. The one we stayed at in Playa Larga was newly renovated, had 3 guest bedrooms upstairs, a balcony with a hammock, was on the water, and had some equipment and their own fill station. It's run by a husband and wife. The husband, Osnedi, speaks English and is a Dive Master, and will guide you on dives in the Bay of Pigs and various cenotes. He is safety conscious and will probably ask about number and types of dives and check you out on the ocean dives first before doing the cenotes, if possible. His wife, Yaquelin, is a fabulous cook and handles all the arrangements through email communications, although she does not speak English. I ran her emails through Google Translate and ran mine through Google Translate as well back to her, and we communicated no problem. I also spoke to Osnedi by phone beforehand, and we were able to communicate, as well as in person.
Their wonderful casa is "La Casa del Buzo" in Playa Larga The Diver House, Playa Larga. Excellent lodging in Cuba. | Cubadivingnow
You'll see pics of their lodging and all their information at the above link. The cost is between 35 and 40 CUC (same as the US dollar) per room per night depending on season, and I think 2 dives were no more than 25 or 30 CUC, with other packages available.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom