Best new toys at DEMA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Although the GPS unit was very impressive, my favorite new toy at the show was the new Atomic Cobalt dive computer. Very impressive. Available in the spring retailing for about $1100 to $1200.
Larry
I agree the Atomic Cobalt dive computer looked pretty sweet, I liked the electronic compass feature. According to Atomic there will be a wrist computer as well in the near future.

I can hardly wait... once this kind of underwater GPS becomes more affordable and commonplace, it will be the dive computer debate all over again!

...can you share any more details on the Atomic Cobalt computer ? ...there seem to be a bunch of new dive computers released in recent months, it appears a lot of manufacturers have identified dive computers as a substantial profit center, so there appears to be a fair amount of competition lately in the dive computer segment.

The Cobalt has a built in electronic compass and is an air integrated unit. They plan to make a non-air integrated unit if this one goes over well. If you have any specific questions you can reply or p.m me. A p.m. is better since I will probably see it sooner. Atomic had two dealer only receptions where they discussed some more details. I believe that they are going to make some minor changes based on dealer input. The software guys seemed very knowledgeable and receptive to input.
I have a cell phone photo but I didn't want to post it until I got the ok from Atomic. Since I'm an Atomic dealer I need to consider their wishes on that matter. I already have three commitments from dive buddies who want one as soon as they are available. It's a very impressive unit.

Last edited:
Wow. I'm not sure my wrist could hold up a weight-integrated computer. :)

You'd better have a backup device in case you need to ditch weight!:D

Wow. I'm not sure my wrist could hold up a weight-integrated computer. :)

Oh, man, that's heavy; like, a major downer, dude.

That GPS is a must have for my boat

As I read through the post containing the message from shbinstruments, a particular item caught my eye.

"Navimate functions through use of a small, multi-transducer unit that is hung from a dive boat or buoy. This unit has a floating GPS antenna in order to determine its exact location, and communicates with the wrist units via acoustic signals"

A few years ago there was concern over a new sonar system being used by the United States Navy. In fact, it reached the U.S. Suprme Court last year. Allegations were that it was causing damage to marine animals like whales that use acoustics to navigate and communicate.

Now, I'm not at all suggesting that this product will hurt marine life or cause whales to strand themselves, but does anybody have any information on the acoustic signals used by Navimate? Is there any chance that it will scare off the pelagics and reef fish that recreational divers are there to observe?

Please don't take this as any sort of effort to promote any of these issues. I am simply wondering.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom