Best month to see Mola Mola in Bali?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

N8nbkk

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi,

I know the mola season is july - oct. But what's probably the best month and which dive site is the best for seeing molas? I also hear it's good to dive +/- a few days near the full moon date.

Best? There is no such thing.
Days near the full moon = strong current.
Crystal Bay is the most common site but also notorious for strong down current.
Water temp will be around 20C. Thick wet suit is highly recommended unless you can stand the coldness.

End of August is fine for my personal experience, on the other hand july or beginning of august are often too early.
You need cold water, when you shudder and start thinking to pee into your wetsuit, you know its time for Mola Mola.
For me the best place are the Gilis in Amuk bay : Gili Tepekong or Gili Mimpang, you can dive there almost every day from Padang Bai or Candi Dasa dive centers. Crystal bay would be second, too crowded and sometimes very challenging with all sorts of currents.

Back
Top Bottom