Best method to display photos

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Does this change any of this advice?
" We are our own worst critics " . Similar to a freshly painted room you just completed, the minor brush mark mistakes "Scream" out at you because you know where all the secrets are. But the average visitor doesn't look for imperfections and rather takes in the whole scene all together. OCD is debilitating,,,,Print the lower quality and watch visitors generously compliment your photo standing 6-10 feet back from it.

If you have some photos you really like I think metallic prints (i.e. prints on aluminum) are most spectacular.

Agreed, but it has to be the right image and setting. Colors exaggerate (become very bright) so it doesn't work for all images. I'm hard pressed to offer more than that. I have seen B&W images printed on aluminum that pop your eyes out and a few color images with imperfect focus throughout the depth of field that were distracting.

All that said, the right image of a Monet might be spectacular, or give you a headache from eye strain.

The one advantage of the smaller prints is more freedom to experiment. Right now I am thinking of ordering multiple finishes. For this I think the metal is out but thinking of trying metallic paper and perhaps luster (new term to me). For this round of prints I am going for color.

Printing screen caps from a video is difficult but we often do 8x10s from video captures. It depends a lot on the scene and the camera.
Bill

Printing screen caps from a video is difficult but we often do 8x10s from video captures. It depends a lot on the scene and the camera.
Bill
Not to mention the resolution of both the video and the monitor. (If it was shot in 4k, but displayed on a monitor with a lower resolution, then the resolution of the monitor is the resolution you will get.)

We see a regular groupon for the canvas prints in various sizes. There is an 8x8 special now for under $5 (plus shipping). See : https://www.canvasdiscount.com/ there are many shops that offer these specials and they are not bad if on a budget. We made a series of small ones and they look great. Forget which shop, they all sound about the same. No doubt that metal would definitely be brighter and more spectacular but we're happy with the results and the quality (and price) of the wrapped canvas ones too.

Low resolution is difficult to make it come out good. Walgreens runs 50-60% off canvas prints/photos quite frequently. Textured surface sometimes hides imperfections from low resolution. However, for $15-20, you can try it and see if you like it…

Bill
I am using a program to get the shots, Video 2 Photo. Is there a better way?

I've been wanting to print a few of my favorite wide angle shots with bayphoto for a while but never pulled the trigger; my wife surprised me with an aluminum print for christmas... it looks awesome.

I'm afraid I'm about to start spending a lot of money on prints!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom