Best Maui Dive Spots?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

m_patts

Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

My wife and I are headed to Maui this week, we are staying on the SW side of the Island. I was wondering if there were any "Must See" dive sites in that area.

We are mostly planning on going where ever the divemasters take us since I assume everywhere will be good, but if anyone has advice on a specific site please let me know.

Thanks!

I highly recommend Doug above - we just got back from Maui today, and had great guided dives with Doug. We did Five Caves, Papalua'a (I think) and a night dive at Makena Landing. We would have missed so much without Doug. Saw lots of turtles, octopus, nudibranchs, reef sharks and the super cool Hawaiian Damselfish that you can hear purring (yes, like a cat) as they hide in the antler coral.

On the night dive we saw an octopus right in the open, a parrotfish in his night time mucous "shield" so he can sleep, and the best part was the reef squid that we photo'd and video'd for quite a while.

I'll post an actual report here when pics are uploaded, and jet lag dissipates.

Double Shaka to Doug!

Currently in Maui at the moment and we had 4 great dives with B&B Scuba. After discussing our experience, they were very flexible with us and gave us significant leeway on our dives.

Here's a couple of videos to wet your appetite:
St. Anthony's Wreck

Pu'u Olai

Of the sites we dove this trip, the backwall of Molokini and Pu'u Olai were the standouts.

There are a number of good spots where you will be at.

For boat diving you'll definitely want to check out Molokini (front, back, side ... don't matter - it's all gorgeous) I have always been treated well by B&B Scuba and like their family style of operating. Others have been very happy with Ed Robinson or Mike Sevryns. Those three seem to rate at the top for boat ops.

For shore diving, if you would like a guide definitely give Shaka Doug a call - the one thing I've seen with all his customers (we have passed one another in the parking lot and at dive sites on numerous ocassions) is the amount of smiling laughing going on. This guy knows how to have fun while being one of the most safety conscious dive leaders I've come across.

If you are comfortable diving on your own off shore, then pick up a flag from B&B or Maui Dreams Dive co. and ask for directions to Ulua beach, Ahihi cove and bay (2 different sites) as well as some of the other good shore spots along that side.

Have fun whatever you do ... it's Maui :)

Aloha, Tim

P.S. not too much in the way of Kihei, but a few listed here: Aloha Shore Divers

Back
Top Bottom