best lens color for BC/emergency strobe light ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubafanatic

Contributor
Reaction score
..so now that I'm in the market for a Signal Strobe for attaching to my BC, I'm picking out a Tektite model, but am seeking guidance on which color lens to buy...they offer the following colors:

Amber
Red
Green
White
Blue

...which color is best...and why ?

Thanks!

Karl

depends if you are using for emergency above or below water, Ill assume above water when your boat has left you behind, in that case white. For use underwater due to light absorbtion I believe green travels furthest, I could be wrong about that but Im pretty sure its green, red being the worst. Also check out the Jotron AQ-4 strobe, a little pricey but good quality, I own one.

I picked white. White light contains the full spectrum of colors making up the white light. In order to "make" colored light you need to filter out colors, in essence decreasing the amount of light making it through the lens. Of course that may be minimal, but that was my reasoning.

There was a great thread about which signalling equipment works well from the searchers point of view.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ge...ignalling-equipment-searchers-point-view.html

Henrik

Hi buddhasummer and HenrikBP,

Thanks for your responses......that Jotron looks interesting, TDL is having a sale on a 'twin-pack'....so I'm thinking about buying that, one for me and one for my dive buddy.

Karl

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom