Best Internet Security Suite

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ShoalDiverSA:
They claim lowest resource usage. Something different to add to the McAfee vs Nortons debate.

They even have a Linux flavour - bet you didn't think that was necessary! :wink:

Cheers,

Andrew

Outstanding if that holds true!! Choice is always good.

Didn't have a chance to look at the report...did they mention ClamAV?

Do your self a favor and dont buy anything for norton with the year 2006 in it. nortons software has some major flaws in it that havent been corrected for several years and there aware of it. furthermore 2006 products have been causing system corruptions on a load of systems (win 2k and XP Pro) in my area (look geek squad is seeking 5-10 computers a day like this). norton has just gotten to be to much bloatware(system and hardware hog) to be worth it

personally i use a combonation of AVG, mcaffee corperate level products but have yet to get but 1 virus in almost 10 years (under 95 and it was on purpose to test a virus checker)ago, and i have yet to get any spyware but then again im not using internet explorer, outlook or messanger.

Tooth

undrwater:
Outstanding if that holds true!! Choice is always good.

Didn't have a chance to look at the report...did they mention ClamAV?

Nope. Only the ones shown in my earlier post. I signed up to the Virus Bulletin to give you a better answer, but no luck.

The following vendors' products were tested:

ALWIL

AhnLab

Aladdin Knowledge Systems

ArcaBit

Authentium

Avira

BLC

CAT QuickHeal

Computer Associates (Vet)

Computer Associates (eTrust/InoculateIT)

DoctorWeb

Eset

F-Secure

FRISK

Fortinet

GDATA

GeCAD

Ggreat

Grisoft

H+BEDV

Hauri

Ikarus

Kaspersky

Leprechaun

McAfee

MicroWorld

NWI

Norman

Panda

Proland Software

SOFTWIN

Secure Resolutions

Sophos

Symantec

Trend Micro

Unasoft

VirusBuster

You can sign up at Virus Bulletin to see the results.

Cheers,

Andrew

Gidds:
My university requires McAffee and Norton came with my notebook, however I have abandoned both of them in favor of Grisoft's AVG freeware. It found SIX nasties on my machine that Norton AND McAffee missed despite doing the stupid updates and scans etc. My situation is a tad different because I'm not a downloader, I refuse to use MS Outlook, and I won't open emails with FW on them. I also have the MS AntiSpyware Beta version running and it seems to be ok.

The 6 nasties are most probebly adwares or trojians. Neither NAV nor Mcfee AV can catch them alone.

AVG is very good. The free version has some problems. anyway as they say, you get what you pay for.

jonix:
thanks for the reco guys. actually if i had not gone into diving i probably have a mac right now hehehe

seriously though, i can't got the mac way as i'm running locally developed software that i use both at the office and at home.

i used to run the following:

antivirus: avg & avast my anti virus (yes it auto updates and i scans every 2 days)
firewall: zone alarm
anti spy: ad aware (i still do)

that's until a last weeks when spammers apparently "used" my broadband provider based email account for spamming...the account actually got banned and i got a "Your IP has been logged" email from an "FBI" agent who's email address is "agentname"@fbi.gov :D

that's why i'm searching for "better" solutions (i agree that these security suites will never be perfect)...i have very critical local data that i have to protect but can't delete from my pc at home...thus the need for the suite or an alternative solution

Try this link, its all you need to have and most for free (why pay when you get for free.... maybe not as good as some of the commercial stuff, but some even beter lol)
http://www.techsupportalert.com/best_46_free_utilities.htm

enjoy

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom