Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gemma Swan

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello all,

After spending two months in Indonesia last year we are heading back, and want to do some more awesome diving!

Our favourite spots were Komodo and Raja Ampat, and we are looking for dive sites that can rival them in terms of abundance of marine life, healthy corals and pelagic action!

There are a number of places we are considering:
1) Alor
2) Banda Island
3) Palau Weh
4) Wakatobi
5) Togean islands
6) Lembeh/Bunaken

Has anyone dived in either Komodo or Raja Ampat, and can tell us how our options list would compare? We've heard mixed feelings on a few of them...!

Thanks in advance!

Hello all,

After spending two months in Indonesia last year we are heading back, and want to do some more awesome diving!

Our favourite spots were Komodo and Raja Ampat, and we are looking for dive sites that can rival them in terms of abundance of marine life, healthy corals and pelagic action!

1) Alor
2) Banda Island
3) Palau Weh
4) Wakatobi
5) Togean islands
6) Lembeh/Bunaken

Has anyone dived in either Komodo or Raja Ampat, and can tell us how our options list would compare? We've heard mixed feelings on a few of them...!

Thanks in advance!

I have been to both Komodo and Raja Ampat and enjoyed both for different things. Komodo offered such a great diversity of dive sites with pinnacles, sloping walls, muck diving and Shotgun, aka the Cauldron. Raja Ampat is the epicenter of marine biodiversity, soft coral color and abundance of fish life.

My suggestion would be to join a liveaboard to the Banda Sea/Forgotten Islands. This itinerary offers a great blend of what you saw in Komodo and Raja Ampat. Itineraries typically include Alor, Ring of Fire, Forgotten Islands, Ambon and more. These itineraries offer the chance for schooling hammerheads, magnificent macro/muck diving, pelagics and some unique topside activities from cultural excursions to eco-adventures. Feel free to email me with any questions you may have at kevin@allstarliveaboards.com and visit our website: All Star Indonesian Itineraries: Raja Ampat, Komodo, Forgotten Islands (Alor), Banda Sea, Maluka.. You can find information on the various itineraries.

Which months?

Hello all,

1) Alor
2) Banda Island
3) Palau Weh
4) Wakatobi
5) Togean islands
6) Lembeh/Bunaken

Thanks in advance!

For a reference, I’ve been to Komodo 3 times, Raja Ampat 7 times. Alor & Banda are good choices. I’ve been there once. In fact I plan to go back there in September, as posted here: Ring of Fire September 9-19, 2019

BTW, I have a dive buddy had to cancel the trip. I now have a spot open for a male diver to share cabin with $1100 off on that Ring of Fire trip of a lifetime if anyone is interested. Just PM me.

Back to the topic, I’ve never been to Pulau Weh and would never will with such Sharia laws in effect. That place doesn’t look good to begin with. There are tons of much better & friendlier dive places in Indonesia. I have relatives who live in Medan. When I was there to visit, I don’t even bother to go diving there.

WaKaToBi is for the rich & pampered. I was there in 2009, spending $11,000 for just seeing little fishes & corals.

Togean has not registered in my mind as a good diving destination.

Lembeh / Bunaken are OK. I’ve been there twice. If you like muck diving. Go for it! I’m now into big fish destination such as Galápagos, Cocos & Socorro. So, it’ll be awhile for me to come back to hanging in a stale black sand bottom watching little critters that I have to blow them up in my laptop screen to see them better. May be when I’m in 70’s when I just want to float & snooze a foot above the sand then I may go back there again.

What you miss on your list is the Nabucco / Maratua Atoll. Check out these videos:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom