Best gaiters to use with a BARE Nex-Gen?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BORG

Contributor
Reaction score
Tucker, Georgia, just northeast of Atlanta
# of dives
100 - 199
I will probably be getting a BARE Nex-Gen suit in the next month or 2. I've heard from alot folks that use gaiters to keep air flow out of the lower leg and foot area.
What have been the best gaiters that have worked with this type of suit?
And who has them at a good price?

THANKS!

Irrespective of which suit you are using them with, I think the Halcyon gaitors are the best. The DR ones used to be good when they hade four straps, but now that they went to three, they bunch up a bit and are less comfortable.

PS - you can usually find the H gaitors on the sales board here...

Just in case you havent dove with a drysuit before, gators may not be necessary. I would suggest that you get your suit and learn to dive it without them. I have to say that I have never used them before and I really cant understand the point of having them. I understand the concept and what they are designed to do I just cant justify why they are necessary. I did take the drysuit course when I got my first suit and I do where ankle weights to keep my legs from drifting up.

I dive off the NJ coast where it is cold, dark, deep and strong currents and I have never had a problem using my suit. Additinally, I have done commercial diving and public safety diving all while wearing a drysuit.

Maybe I'm missing something but I dont see why anyone who knows how to dive a drysuit would want to wear gators. I am not trying to knock those who use them, I just dont get it. Based upon my expereince I dont see why they would be necessary.

I use a Bare Nex Gen. Since they come with soft boots and are used with lace up Trek boots or similar you will not get much air in the feet. I have found no need for either gaiters or ankle weights. I do use Turtle fins which are a little heavier than some. I would suggest you try the suit first before getting gaiters. If you have not used a drysuit before you may find a "floaty feet" feel at first but for me that went away as soon as I got used to diving dry. When I bought the suit I thought I would just use it for winter diving and use the wetsuit through the summer. My 7mm wetsuit now resides on a hanger in the basement and has not seen the light of day for some time. I still use a 3mm when bottom temperatures get above 65 but that is not very often here.

The Halcyon gaiters are really good because they have continuous coverage from top to bottom....that's why I bought them. I agree with others to start with ankle weights.....that's what I did...and then I went to gaiters and got rid of the ankle weights. I also wear lace up boots. If you have the built-in boots, then I suppose the gaiters will just slow down air flow in to the boots....which also should mean they will slow down airflow out of the boots. With the lace up boots and gaiters combo, it is reducing the total air volume from calf down.

I agree with others to start with ankle weights.....that's what I did...and then I went to gaiters and got rid of the ankle weights.

Avoid ankle weights at all cost - they are the devil's handiwork.

Many people need gaitors if their suits have "too much room" in the calves. Even if air doesn't get into the feet, your lower leg can blow-up if that's the case.

I agree with trying to dive without weights or gators. I have a Nex-Gen and need neither. Actually, lately my trim has been a bit off in the other direction: sinky feet.

Don't use ankle weights or gators, just learn to dive the suit. It took me about 10 or 15 dives to get real comfortable with my suit.

I must also go with the flow and ask you to try and dive without gators (or ankle weights for that matter).

I'm currently doing my first dives with a drysuit and I realized I don't need either gators or ankle weights for that matter (negative fins do help though but are not a must).

Back
Top Bottom