Best fish populations in Carib???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

highdesert

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Greetings all -

OK, I know that there are all sorts of little critters to be seen up close at some great dive destinations, and we've done some of those. But we are still fans of lots of fish! And we know the Carib isn't necessarily the best place for that, but if your travel budget doesn't extend to the other side of the globe, where close to the US (in warm water) would you go to see lots of fish? The occasional pelagic would be a nice touch, but schools of reef dwellers is just fine. So what are your hot tips?

Overall, I think Bonaire is the best and certainly the easiest diving in the Caribbean. The prices are very reasonable, and with unlimited diving at resorts like Captain Don's, you can do 4-5 dives a day without blinking. Bonaire has a fantastic marine park that is well protected with tons of fish everywhere.

Tov

highdesert,
welcome to this board.
i agree with tovster in that bonaire's reef is healthy.
i just returned from belize from diving off the aggressor.
she put us on some very healthy reefs.
there were lots of different soft and hard corals.
there were many different kinds of aquatic life of all different sizes.
i think you would have good diving at either location.
regards,

Bonaire has a great variety and the shore diving is the best you will find anywhere for ease and number of choices. Cozumel for the price, ease to get to as in direct flights, comes in close to Bonaire. I do video so I'm really focused on the fish life. We've been to 16 locations in the Caribbean and give these two repeat trips. You may want to think about Costa Rica and dive the Pacific. The cost isn't much different than going to Cozumel, the people are very friendly and the fish are great. Viz can change quickly and won't be as good as the Caribbean. People don't think about this choice but Florida, Palm Beach or Fort Lauderdale are both very good. If you look at the reef fish books, many of the pictures are from Florida. Good luck

Don't get me wrong--I love diving in Bonaire--but, in my experience, the schools of fish were larger in the Florida Keys. Plus the occasional Caribbean reef shark swims by. I particulary remember being impressed at Looe Key but I don't think it is much different at Key Largo.

Dan

Go to where the DM's feed them: Cayman

Cayman Brac and Costa Rica (Pacific side)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom