Best Fins ??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bruceh68

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm look for a some comfortable fins for diving. My old one's are stiff and hurt my feet. Does anyone know how to pick them? Do I need boots?

I Love the jetfins from scubapro been around since the 60's and yes need booties for them. My buddy let me try his back in 94 when i was in the service we dove in hawaii and love them ever since

Hi Bruce,

Booties provide some cushioning and may be nicer to your feet.

The best fins are the ones that work well for you. (I know that doesn't help.) Can you rent or borrow some different types and see what you like? That would be a lot cheaper than buying the wrong thing.

good luck,

glenn

If you don't want a stiff fin I would stay away from jet fins. I have avanti quattros. They are relatively stiff but break in well and provide good propulsion. I am a frog-kicker so I steer away from split fins. Splits are suppose to be a low impact fin that is easy on the legs as long as you flutter kick. I hope this helps.

bruceh68:
I'm look for a some comfortable fins for diving. My old one's are stiff and hurt my feet. Does anyone know how to pick them? Do I need boots?

=====================================================

THEEEE most comfortable pair of fins I have ever had on my feet in over 30 years of diving are FORCE FINS.

Now, are they the best ?? ...can't really answer the question in those terms.

...oh yeah, and you do need "booties" for FORCE FINS, but the good news is that for tropical diving they can be 2 - 3 mm soft sole neoprene socks which makes them all the more comfortable.

I've used Seac Sub Vela Tre fins since my Rescue course, and love them. They're quite long, so I get great power when needed, and are also good for surface swims.
Seac%20Sub%20Vela%20Flex%20Fins.jpg

As far as booties go, it depends where you're gonna be diving. If you're in nice warm tropical water, then perhaps they are not needed, but still might be a good idea. In colder water they would be a must for the thermal protection they offer. Also take into consideration whether or not you'll be diving from a boat. Booties offer foot protection and extra grip when making shore entries. Some people, myself included, just can't get on with full foot fins - they rub and give me blisters !!

If you ask thirty different divers what the best fins are, chances are that you'll get thirty different answers. You have already mentioned that your priority is comfort, and I agree with you, fit is paramount. Fins come in all shapes and sizes. The foot pocket lengths and widths of fins tend to vary from model to model and as G2 has already said, your best bet is to identify which fins best suit your particular feet. Take your time and don't choose any pair that is too small, causing cramps, or too big, causing abrasions. When you've identified several that appear to fit comfortably, try them out and see which ones gives you the power, endurance and manoevrability that suits your strength and needs. Then, and only then, take into account the particular fin recommendations of others.

For what it's worth, I prefer traditional full-foot rubber fins, because they fit me perfectly and suit the gentle style of snorkelling I do most mornings in the North Sea off a sandy beach. I've always used that type of fin and I've no wish, or reason, to change. At the same time, I wouldn't recommend such fins to anyone else unless they had the same foot size and width as I do and enjoyed the same watery pursuits as I do.

My favorite fins are Volo Powers. They are extremely easy to kick, and do everything I want them to. They cost a fortune, but if you don't need boots where you usually dive, you can get the Volo Race full footers for a lot less. Same fins, just no strap.

bruceh68:

Do get some boots(anything from 2 to 5 mm will work @ warmer diving sites). Also, get some kind of split fins- less stiff.....&....You don't have to spend a bunch of money, I recently ordered & now love the Aeries model, ??Velocity something....paid about $60 for them if I remember correctly......btw, I have basically lost them to my wife(she likes them, too), oh well.......

Back
Top Bottom