Best fins for snorkeling?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kim

Here for my friends.....
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
OK guys - what do you think? What would be the best kind of fins for snorkeling - not diving? From things I've read on the board already I'm thinking toward full foot splits but I have no experience to base it on.
Remember - no back kicks, no helicopter turns, no frog kicks - just a pure propulsion fin that is easy to kick for a long time without getting cramp.

I don't see how you can go wrong with splits. They are strongly recommended for long surface swims for divers, so why not for snorkelers?

Can you go to your LDS and try different types on the pool before buying? That's what I did and became convinced of what NOT to buy and stick with what I have. :wink:

I snorkel with my daughter at Blue Springs here in Florida. It is a great way to see the manatees. She was using Mares full foot snorkel fins, and I could not keep up with her using Tusa scuba fins and booties. Scuba fins tended to flop around on the surface rather than digging through the water.

I picked up Cressi Pro Star full foot fins. These are comfortable, have a nice flex, and stay in the water. I've had a lot of fun with these, and they didn't cost that much.

Stu S.

I noticed you are from Japan...the first time I saw splits was in 1998 exploring the mysterous underwater site off of Yoniguni. Our Dive Team Leader was an Island native and was sporting the new Apollo Split Fins--needless to say we were all impressed by the new technology--Apollo introduced the first split fins that year.

The full foot looks like a great deal at $125 on the Apollo site. Here is a good info link:

http://www.apollosportsusa.com/Products/Fins/Overview.htm

Hope this helps,
Chris

I use USDIVERS Proflex full foot, cheap, can be found almost anywhere. My daughter use the USDIVERS Uniflex open heal only because she has little feet for a teenager. And we love to snorkel the Puget Sound. With a price that starts around the $30 range they are just hard to beat.

Oh, did I mention that we snorkel for 2 to 3 hours at a time without any leg cramps. Much beyond that it gets a little cold with water temp running around 50 degrees and air temp running low 40's.

If you're in Japan, you will be able to purchase Mew or Warp traditional full foot snorkelling fins made by Gull, whose website is at:

http://www.gull-msc.co.jp/

The fins come in a wide choice of attractive colours. It's a shame that they are not readily available outside the Far East.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom