Best fins for rehabing hip injury?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

UnderSeaBumbleBee

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi,
I was wondering if someone can recommend a good workout fin. I already have fins for diving. I have a hip injury and swimming with fins has really helped me. In fact, swimming with the fins allowed me to drop the cane and gave me the final push to get certified. I cracked the corner of my hip off a few years back and it is just gone now. The more I swim, the better I seem to do. I

Anyway, I am looking for a fin that will give maximum resistance and high fatigue in order to continue to build leg muscle and rehab the hip. The pool I dive in has extremely high chlorine content, so open heals that require booties are out as the pool would eat then in short order. I am not opposed to open heels, just ones that would be small enough not to require a bootie I have been using a US Diver size 6 full foot. I would like something that gives me a little more of a work out. Also, the US Diver fin foot pocket is starting to rip, so I would like something that might last a bit better.

So what do the fin guru's have to say? Thanks for the help!
Leah

If you're looking for resistance then I'm required to recommend the ScubaPro JetFin. :wink:
Yes, it's open heel, and yes it'll require a bootie. I have "sacrificial booties" that I use for pool work--I just buy a cheapo pair of small ankle-height booties that I use only in the pool. If they're $30, then that's $30 well spent on getting that hip back to working perfectly...and there's no price you can put on that!

Force Fins

I would recommend the slim fins model in the soft (regular) plastic. You won't need booties with them but you can were them is you size them up a one size.

These fins will be great for you hips and legs while still letting you get a good workout. If you are doing rehab then high resistance is bad for you. But if you must have resistance, you can go with the larger fins the Pro Force fin or Tan Delta fin are much larger and stiffer.

As for foot pockets, the don't have 'em. Which actually makes them better for your muscles, going faster for less air consumption.

If you want maximum resistance, look for an old pair of black (not gum rubber) duck feet. The turtle fins are rather stiff also.

Force Fin Pros are not meant for surface swimming - they aren't good for it, I know because I've tried. A lot of scuba fins are not good for regular swimming, so the best thing would be to try a pair before you buy.

Hello Leah - I too have a hip injury as well. My injuries are from an auto accident that I was involved in March 2005 (over a year ago). I have developed bursitis as a result and am not able to do prolonged weight bearing activities. It was suggested that I take up swimming, biking, and the elliptical machine to build up my strengh. Anyway, I have a pair of the Aquasphere Zip Fins to use in the swimming pool. They are perfect because of the size and they are compact for travel too.

ZIP FIN
Patented Nature's Wing® fin technology is the only fin that eliminates ankle fatigue for fitness swimmers, allowing for a full-leg workout that can be sustained over longer periods of time for maximum and efficient aerobic benefit. The unique blade features specially engineered side rails, strategically aligned flex channels, and hydrodynamic stiffening battons that combine to make the Zip Fin the most comfortable and efficient fitness fin on the market.

I have and regularly use the Force Fins Slim Fins in the pool, they work great, Although I think the Rip Force fins might be better (they are even shorter and signifigantly stiffer, designed for body surfing).
The Foil Force fins were also designed for swimming on the surface so they would probably be good to, but I have never used them and can't provide feedback or recommendations on them.

My normal dive fins are the Extra Force Tan Deltas, and I am considering buying the excellerating force fins. These things are fantastic.

I hear the Aquasphere zip fins are really good too. I saw them at crazyscuba.com for about $30. I'd call them and see. They've been very helpful with me! www.crazyscuba.com 866-696-6090.

good luck with the hip, swimming is fantastic for all types of rehab. I get my patients in water therapy whenever able.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom