Best easy, shallow diving Riviera Maya? Infrequent divers.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm 71 years old and I love warm, shallow dives with lots of critters and minimal current. I'm on my way in a month for our 4th trip to Isla Mujeres. We dive with Enrique and Pablo at Casa Del Buceo on Isla. You will have a wonderful time and be treated wonderfully. They find the wildlife, make sure the dive is safe and fun and have great rental equipment. Scuba Diving Isla Mujeres I can't recommend them enough.

By the way we love staying on the north end of Isla on the Playa Norte. The beach is great.

Hyrum

I have found the reef diving off Puerto Aventuras to be great fun. We did reefs between 60 and 80 feet, IIRC, and the current was mild enough that you could easily stop and take pictures, but if you wanted to, you could quit kicking and just gently float along. PA makes logistics easy (as my husband says, there are all inclusives there that are one-stop shopping) and there are several good dive operations. Food, at the Catalonia or the PA restaurants, is rather meh . . .

Trying to decide between Isla Mujeres, Puerto Morelos, Puerto Aventuras or Akumal. Or a combination of a couple of them. Going next May.

We dove in Cozumel a few years ago for our first ocean dives. It was beautiful. We want to dive there again at some point but prefer shallower sites for now with less current. We also like to snorkel, so being able to do that in between dives is great especially since we will have our 4 year old with us. My parents will come too. My mom dives and likes easy dives as well.

We're not hard to please. Still new to the sport so not bored of anything yet. Would like healthy reefs, easily accessible, small personable dive shops, small groups. Of course we like great visibility.

Any info or opinions would be great!

You are describing why we have been diving Puerto Aventuras for the past ten years. After diving Cozumel for almost two decades prior, we wanted to have the same diving experience you are talking about. Not too deep, not too fast, and PA was the answer. The protected marina makes boarding the dive boats a snap, the closeness of the reefs means that surface intervals are back at the marina, and the Bay of Fatima (which PA is built around) offers great snorkeling (we've seen turtles, eels, juvy barracuda, etc).

Have to agree with TSandM on the lack of quality dining, but there are a couple of places that we have really enjoyed, including Massimo for dinner, Paparazzi Pizza, Joel's Pub for a great Mayan breakfast, and Bamboo for sandwiches and smoothies. We love to cook, so we usually rent a condo and go to the Chedraui grocery store across the highway and pick up enough for the times we don't eat out.

Highly recommend Dive Aventuras for being the most welcoming and accomodating shop we've ever dealt with. Very professional staff, on-site equipment repair (if necessary), good rental equipment (we bring our own, though), and wonderful dive guides. They can arrange both ocean and cenote trips (as well as whale shark trips in season). They also have a Facebook page.

PM me if you want more detailed information on PA in general.

Thank you all for the tips and help!! We have been to Roatan 3 times and just dove there for the 1st time last July. I love it there for diving and snorkeling!! But it's pricey to get there and my husband loves Mexico, I do too, so we're going in May.

Is there beach snorkeling in Puerto Aventuras? Or just by boat?
I found Casa de Buceo on trip advisor in Isla mujeres and I'm sure we will use them if we decide to go there.

I think we will split our trip in 2 spots. Leaning toward Isla mujeres and either puerto aventuras or Akumal.

Thanks again all!

Is there beach snorkeling in Puerto Aventuras? Or just by boat?

Thanks again all!

Puerto Aventuras is, more or less, built around Fatima Bay, which is a crescent-shaped area between the inlets to the two marinas.

Fatima20Bay_zpsajwtatl3.jpg

We have found snorkeling in there very enjoyable, lots of juvenile fish, occasional turtles and rays. Well protected, no power craft allowed.

If you are not staying at either the Omni or one of the condo units that face the Bay, access can be a little tricky, but achievable with some ingenuity (for example, if you use Dive Aventuras, they are in the Omni, ergo . . .).

Dhboner where is the dive shop located that you mentioned? ibj40 is it really hard to access Fatima bay if we stay in a condo away from there? What condos would be good on Fatima bay that are affordable? How does the snorkeling compare to Akumal? Thank you!What about golf carts in PA?

ibj40 is it really hard to access Fatima bay if we stay in a condo away from there? What condos would be good on Fatima bay that are affordable? How does the snorkeling compare to Akumal? Thank you!What about golf carts in PA?

Omni-Chac20Ha20Al_zpsuvkjkbui.jpg

We usually rent in the Chac Ha Al complex, using Blue Caribbean as the agent. In the picture, Chac Ha Al is on the right, overlooking the entry channel to the marina (I have placed a pin over the location). You can see the beach access that any condo in there has.

We dive with Dive Aventuras, which is located in the Omni Hotel complex (center of the picture, with the three part pool). If you go out the back entrance from the dive shop, there is direct beach access as well. I have marked both the Omni and the dive shop. There are other condos further to the left of the Omni (with the big pool area) that also have direct beach access as well.

You could easily just stay in Cancun. We like the Riu Palace, and we dive with AwaysDiving. The diving is excellent with turtles, sharks, rays, and tons of fish. You can hunt Lionfish, if you like. The sites are shallow - the only ones I can think of that are deeper than 60' are the wrecks. There is little or no current.

Thanks again! Ibj40 thanks for all of the detailed info and maps. Very helpful. So PA is really sounding great. It sounds like it has more to offer than Akumal. We will for sure do Isla Mujeres, then either PA or Akumal. I just spent an hour watching diving videos from Isla Mujeres and it's absolutely beautiful. Shallow, sun filled, tons of fish and color and visibility forever. Not sure what else you could ask for. I'm wondering why anyone would speak poorly of it there. Can't wait to go!!

Back
Top Bottom