Best dry suit ever!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oli

Reaction score
I am looking to buy a dry suit.
Prefer something that would fit a small lady ( 5'4'')
Durable and good for all conditions.
I dive in Hawaii ( Planning to wear a rash guard under it) and other cold places, like Washington.
If you folks have any recommandation, feel free to let me know.

Personally I like the os systems hd pro. Front entry, which makes it easy to put on. Also if you go thru thr right dealer he can hook you up with a package that includes both sets of undergarments. I would advise against just wearing a rash guard under a trilam suit. it may not afford enough protection from not just the cold but drysuits get wrinkles and fols and stuff that do not seem to smooth out like a wetsuit. And if you're not good with adjusting for squeeze it can be quite painful and leave some nasty, although temporary, marks on your body. You could go with neoprene or crushed neoprene but i think these may be too warm for diving in the tropics unless you are going real deep or plan on staying down for long periods. With a trilam you can adjust the amt of insulation you need. I've dove mine from 74 to 46 degrees and been quite comfy. Have not even needed my dry glove system yet. As far as fit unless you are a perfect size or real close to one you have to go semi or full custom to get a proper fit no matter what brand you get. Especially if you plan on diving it alot. If you only do a few a year you can maybe cheat it a little but I don't advise this. Fortunately I only neede to go semi as everything fell into a good range except the legs needed to be shortened 2 inches. I'm 5'7" and it may not sound like much but 2 inches in the legs leaves alot of room for air to get trapped. Also if you've not already done it take the drysuit course when you get it. Some say you can learn from buddies and you can, I did 11 dives in mine before I took mine including 2 deep dives in excess of 90 ft. It was cool but after taking the course I wish I had done it first. Also if you plan to go all the way pro to instructor it will make it that much easier should you have to actually teach it at some point. Finally don't rush into this. Try to see as many as you can if possible try them on. I don't know where you're at but visit different shops and talk to them and ask lots of questions, warranty, repairs there or sent out, type of seals, can you demo one, do you get a course with it(some shops do this), do undergarments come with it or are they seperate, what features can I get(front zip,hard or soft boots, relief zipper or valve if you are male(know you're not but others may read this), dry gloves included or optional, and what colors are available (there are lots of choices today so don't let them try to unload an old stock if you want a different color) and so on. Sorry this is so long but it's not like buying a mask or new fins. A drysuit to me is life support equipment. It can be great and alot of fun. It can extend your dive season to 365 days, But it can also hurt you or even kill you if you're not prepared or properly trained to use it depending on the conditions. Keep me posted on what you get. Jim

Dont mean to be a downer but IMHO it depends on what weakness your willing to put up with. In a neoprene suit you'll be toasty but water will weep beneath the seals and air will get into your boots and occasionally make you a human bobber. In a trilam your sealed and can prevent air into the feet w/ boots and gators but it'll squeeze you somewhere like a turnip and look at another $400 for an undergarment, then another $175 for drygloves. Take your pick...

Let me first state that I am very, very new to dry suit diving.

But based upon what I read as the pros and cons of the different styles, I opted for a Bare hyper compressed neoprene suit.

The reasons? Not as bulky as a heavy neoprene but still retains some of the insulating properties, more durable than a tri-lam. I went with the self-donning with latex seals. I've about 10 dives on this suit now and am completely satisfied with it.

Bare offers a myriad of stock sizes from which to choose.

I purchased my suit through Divetank.com. Richard, the proprietor, was excellent in helping me determine my selection. And the pricing was something that wouldn't break the bank.

the K

FFMDiver:
...In a neoprene suit you'll be toasty but water will weep beneath the seals and air will get into your boots and occasionally make you a human bobber. ....

Classic misinformation about neoprene suits....all this can happen if you have absolutely no idea how to dive in a drysuit - and not exslusive to neoprene at that point.

party....

--Matt

Sorry, just my experience after receiving training and diving both. I'm also not really interested the neoprene vs. trilam argument. Good luck!

I'm 5'4" and 120 lbs, and I have a small Mobby's trilaminate drysuit which fits me I think as well as an off-the-rack suit could. It was also not terribly expensive. It is self-donning, which I like, with a very simple system. It has latex seals (which were small enough for me) and integrated boots.

For Washington diving, I am using a Diving Concepts 200g Thinsulate undergarment which is marginally warm enough now that topside temperatures have dropped. But you can put something heavier or more layers under it.

I dove a DUI hybrid suit (crushed neoprene from the waist down, and trilam above) at a demo, and I was amazed at how much warmer the lower half of me was than the upper half. My LDS owner says, however, that he doesn't recommend the crushed neoprene suits for smaller women because they are so heavy, particularly when wet. In addition, because women's sizes in DUI suits are ALL custom, a CF200 suit was going to run me over $2300, and I'm just not going there (at least yet). If you are going to dive dry in very different water temperatures, I would think using a trilaminate suit and varying your undergarments would be a good strategy.

Check out a DUI 350. It will work fine in Hawaii. It will also work fine in the Pacific Northwest Region...with a substantial difference in undergarments. It dries fast, is light, and packs relatively well. It's expensive and it holes easily if you're wreck diving, OTOH it repairs easily as well. One of the best out there.

Given your size, there is an excellent chance you may be able to get one at a better price by watching for them here:
http://www.dui-online.com/dry_main.htm

There is a section where returns, wrong sized suits, and demos are sold at sometimes significant discounts.

Viking is coming out with a new version of their Xtreme; its going to have a front zip.
(its not in the US yet, be another month or so)
I suspect that upon their release that at least 1 dealer will be having an outrageous sale... :D

Back
Top Bottom