Best Diving Magazines?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

.....and Preferences. I am a vorocious reader, so I am always on the prowl for some good magazines.

Dive training- Getting as little bored with this one. A little too basic for me.

Scuba Diving- Most of the critisims of the other posts are true but I still enjoy reading it every month in a tabloid sort of way.

Sport Diver- PADI's version of Scuba Diving, I would rank it a step below Scuba Diving for entertainment value.

Fathoms- is a beautiful magzine with great articles. A little pricey and four times a year makes it hard to wait for the next issue.

Advanced Diving- very good to me on technical and entertainment value. I wish it was published monthly.

Undercurrent- this is the real gem if you are looking for "insider info." on dive travel, dive resorts, dive gear, thediving industry, etc. don't let the price of this one scare you off. Their annual chapbook is worth the subscription price by itself. Especially if you want to become a travelor not a tourist.

Don't know too much about the others or haven't yet developed an opinion as of yet on them.

Happy reading and diving.

Dave

I am the editor of a magazine that has been out for one year called Wreck Diving Magazine. Our 4th quarterly issue was just released in late December and we cover great wrecks around the USA and the world. Check it out at www.wreckdivingmag.com .

I’m another Undercurrent fan. They have saved me both money and hassle by helping me find the really good dive resorts. Cost might be less of an issue now that their online membership has a money back guarantee. You can check them out here.

I also like Alert Diver that comes with your DAN membership.

www.dtmag.com

So far the best non biased mag on the shelf, Plus not slamm full of advertisments

One more magazine... Florida Scuba News. Not a bad magazine but it does have lots of ad's, but it's about the only magazine that you'll see tons of ad's for Florida dive shops and dive boats. So the ad's are useful.

I think they've changed their name to "Scuba News" and dropped the Florida. I guess they are trying to widen their area.

Picked up a copy of Dive Chronicles. Not to bad. the "readers digest" of dive magazines from my first impression.

Yeah, They changed it to just Scuba news, but all the ads are still pretty Florida based like before...My LDS just started carrying it which is cool! (now I don't have to slum around the Florida Dive shops looking for copies! hahaha!)

DT is a good one, lots of useful info for a noobie (like myself) The PADI mag is decent, but more on the "travel mag" side of things, I get Scuba Diving for free, so any tid bit I can pick up from that is well worth the price!

Buoyant1:
Yeah, They changed it to just Scuba news, but all the ads are still pretty Florida based like before...My LDS just started carrying it which is cool! (now I don't have to slum around the Florida Dive shops looking for copies! hahaha!)

Yep. That's where I got my latest copy was at my LSD.

I figured it was a recent change because last year I had
a subscription to it. The ad's are still all Florida based,
but's that's where the bulk of their customer base is and
already established advertiser base. Somewhere in the
recent publication, they had something saying there
were looking for freelance sales reps to seel ads in other
states in the Southeast to sell on comission. Like
Alabama, Georgia, etc.

My local dive shop just started giving it away for free.
I bet they are doing that to increase the number of
published issues to cover a larger number of divers
and also a larger geographical area. Then I'll
bet they start selling ad's to these dive shops
since they give away the issues there. Overall
not too bad of a plan. :)

It's a niche magazine, but there is Shark Diver. http://www.sharkdivermag.com
It's pretty new so there's not a ton of articles but well written ones with great photos and high quality paper so I'm keeping all of mine. My hubby bought me a sucscription at DEMA and I really like it.

I just wandered over to the OTHER LDS in my area and picked up a free copy of Dive Chronicles (along with a free copy of DT)

It looks pretty good, but in a "small" digest form (best part...it didn't cost anything!!)

I must agree with the vast majority of the responders here...Dive Training is the least biased that I have experienced to date, and Scuba Diving seems to be one big ad.

BTW, Thanks to Sterling Diver for the info on the various mags...you just kept me from wasting money on a quite a few subscriptions!

Back
Top Bottom