Best diving in South Thailand Dec-Jan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Amy WJ

Registered
Reaction score
My husband and I will be in Phuket for 12 days in late December, early January. We would like to be relatively near restaurants for the local dining experience but not necessarily in the middle of all the action. We are primarily interested in diving the Similans. We're also curious about diving the Phi Phi islands. Are there any must-see areas or areas we should avoid, particularly after the recent tsunami? Any suggestions for where to stay and where to dive will be much appreciated.

At the moment there are hardly any traces of the tsunami, since you'll be coming here almost 1 year after the wave, you can go whereever you like without having to worry about areas to avoid.

Patong is the middle of the action, it sounds like Karon Beach and especially Kata Beach are the places for you to stay. Here in Kata you will find plenty of choice of hotels, restaurants and some nice bars without being overly crowded. Hotels in all price ranges.

All diving centers here can arrange all your Similan and Phi Phi trips without any problems. If I were you, I would seriously consider going to Hin Daeng and Hin Muang as well. IMO these are the topspots in the area, personally I prefer them over the Similans.
Book in advance though, because we are talking about the busiest time of the high season.

Have fun.

You are wise to think ahead for the Christmas/New Year period. If you're considering a liveaboard at this time of year, early booking is essential, or you're just left with the scraps.

I agree you should try to dive Hin Daeng and Similan Islands/Richelieu Rock. Some boats do combination trips of around 6 days (Colona 6, Mermaid 2 for example). These will also usually do a dive or two at Phi Phi, but you can also dive Phi Phi on day trips almost any day from Phuket. For just Similan there are dozens of options.

I wouldn't worry about after effects from the tsunami 1 year on. In Phuket you won't be able to see anything. Indeed, in Kata and Karon beaches, you can't see anything now, while Patong I expect to be 100% rebuilt by next high season.

Wishing you happy diving!

When I was there 2 months ago in Feb, you wouldn't know what was any remaining tsunami damage and the normal construction which exists in Phuket, if you hadn't been there before.

The media over hyped the damage there for the media's own ambitions. That's a fact.

However, you're going there in the highest of high seasons. Swedes galore.
Book everything well ahead of time.

I just got back from Phuket on Saturday. I stayed in Kata Beach and would recommend this area if you are looking for a relaxing/quiet time. We stayed at the Orchidacea hotel which is just a short walk from Kata beach. There are plenty of hotels in this area that I'm sure you'll enjoy (www.phuket.com). The Orchidacea is a nice hotel with friendly/helpful staff. I would not have any problems staying there next year. FYI - beware that the Orchidacea has quite a few steps you have to climb. IMO it is not bad.

'Dangerous Brian' and myself did a 4 dive day with 2 dives in Phi Phi (Koh Bida Nok & Phi Phi le). They didn't take us to PhiPhi Don because the DM said that it had much damage from the Tsunami. I also did a 3day/2night liveaboard to the Similans and had a great time as well.

Whatever you decide, I'm 100% positive that you & your husband will have a great time.

Dive safe,
Phil

Here's what you can expect on the liveaboard. :D
Sunset.JPG

And here's what you can expect underwater. :D
Nemo1.jpg

stevenl:
At the moment there are hardly any traces of the tsunami, since you'll be coming here almost 1 year after the wave, you can go whereever you like without having to worry about areas to avoid.

Patong is the middle of the action, it sounds like Karon Beach and especially Kata Beach are the places for you to stay. Here in Kata you will find plenty of choice of hotels, restaurants and some nice bars without being overly crowded. Hotels in all price ranges.

All diving centers here can arrange all your Similan and Phi Phi trips without any problems. If I were you, I would seriously consider going to Hin Daeng and Hin Muang as well. IMO these are the topspots in the area, personally I prefer them over the Similans.
Book in advance though, because we are talking about the busiest time of the high season.

Have fun.
How is Phi Phi now? Are things up and running there? The pics after the tsunami showed serious devastation.

Phi Phi is in the middle of a major cleaning and construction operation. Some parts are nice, other parts you would not like to stay at the moment, because of the construction.

But: some of the hotels, bars and DC's are open again, and slowly slowly the tourists are coming back again. But with the low season more or less started, it will be a difficult time for most of the people trying to make a living on the island.

stevenl:
Phi Phi is in the middle of a major cleaning and construction operation. Some parts are nice, other parts you would not like to stay at the moment, because of the construction.

But: some of the hotels, bars and DC's are open again, and slowly slowly the tourists are coming back again. But with the low season more or less started, it will be a difficult time for most of the people trying to make a living on the island.

i highly agree. i was just on phi phi for about 10 days a few days ago and HI phi phi is cleaning up the island. you can still see the devastation in some spots. but it is completely safe to stay there. alot of stuff is starting to open up again. a beautiful place.

as for the diving definately go to hin daeng and hin muang. i did a speedboat trip from phi phi to those sites. it was about 1.5 hr ride, and costed about 3600 bath. and the similians are definately not a miss also. good luck with your decisions!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom