best dive spots for beginners who like colorful coral and big sealife

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

heehee62

Contributor
Reaction score
None in my group have gone diving more than 5 times. We'd like to see some macro stuff too since it sounds like that's what's really great in Pl but I think at this point, we still like large sea creatures and colorful, varied coral the best. We aren't limited timewise and are open to liveaboards if they are the best for us. We can go anytime of the year too. All of us will have seen a whale shark by the time we go so we don't need to see them again.

What do you guys recommend for us?

Can we really do Tubataha as beginners?
I thought you meant 5 trips instead of 5 times! Terribly sorry.
Straightly speaking, Tubataha is NOT really suitable for beginner.
I would have to withdraw Malapascua as well because the Monad Shoal(for thrasher shark) might be a bit too deep(24m on a sea mount) for ow. Some operators might insist on Adv certification.

Another place that has nice colourful corals is Southern Leyte. It is slightly off the beaten track.
Anilao is just 3hrs from Manila.

Lots of reef fish, turtles, plenty of healthy corals Apo Island. The chance of a white tip or black tip reef shark, lots of nice corals and plenty of fish then Sumilon island. If you want incredible macro life and reef fish then Dauin Coast.

All of the above can be hit from the Dumaguete/Dauin region.

Other than that, macro and an extremely good chance of something larger then Malapascua. Nearly guaranteed to get white tips at Gato Island. Monad Shoal (thresher sharks) might not be possible as new divers though - depends on who you dive with I think.

H2H
Hydreliox :)

IMHO, more whalesharks to see can't be that bad. :D
Anilao, Bohol, Malapascua and yes, Southern Leyte diving in Sogod Bay. Take your pick.
And Tubattaha season has just started.

Anilao for macro.
Malapascua for thrasher shark
Tubataha for liveaboard(mid Mar to mid June ONLY).

Was looking at Tubataha youtube videos. Ok, I'm hooked. I've decided to go to the Philippines next April so it'll give me time to get practice diving beforehand.

Don't get me wrong about the whalesharks. I'd love to swim with them again. It's just that there's just so much to do in the Philippines, I'm already going to have to beg my boss for a month off. I can do a short 4 day weekend trip to Mexico to swim with whale sharks again as opposed to spending precious time while at the Philippines.

Thanks a lot everyone.

Back
Top Bottom