Best Dive Sites in Hawaii

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RABernsRogers

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hey Hey,

Planning a vacation for the end of April to Hawaii. Only going to be able to do a couple dives, because my husband doesn't dive. Ideally, would love to dive with dolphins, seals, turtles (bigger animals). Also saw that it will be the end of humpback whale season during that time. Was thinking for sure of doing the Kona Manta night dive since the hubs could snorkel above. Just started doing research so haven't picked an island(s). Based on bigger animals, was wondering what island(s)/dive sites people would recommend. Appreciate any help.

Thanks so much,
Rachel

Almost all the inter-island flights pressurize the cabin or fly to elevation so it's hard to do a lot of different island diving in a typical week vacation.

Here's what I've either personally observed or my regular buddy has.

Manta's are almost always good on the Big Island, on one of the south of Kona dayboats spinner dolphins might be your buddies. Since your husband snorkels, he can do that at the Manta Night Dive - some think it's better since the boats have lights shining down so it brings the Mantas up.

Off Maui there's all the diving at Molokini Crater - a slim possibility for Mantas but likely a lot of sharks. One site is named Shark Condos. Off the Backwall (more advanced diving) your buddy might be a reef shark or two feeding on the wall nearby. It's a bluewater dive - about 300' to the bottom.

I followed a couple reef sharks there from about 40' into deeper water, they'd pause till I got closer then move again. You should hear Humpbacks singing - it reverberates off Molokini - a friend was lucky enough to dive with a baby Humpback there. - that never happens.

A lof of West Maui dives are generically called Turtle Town by one of the operators so that's likely. At one of the wrecks, as of a few years ago, they've taken over. My buddy even had one swim up to greet him. There's also a Manta feeding station nearby off Umekahame (sp). Late one afternoon my buddy saw two there on an Ed Robinson's advanced dive but Kona is a better possibility.

We've relibly seen white/black tips off Lana'i - not every dive but pretty close. Once off Sharkfin (hint) there were at least a dozen patrolling around the edges of a huge school of Morish Idols, Tangs and Butterflies.

Off Kauai there's always big turtles at Sheraton Caverns - a fairly shallow dive. It's really known for them. I saw at least 5 including one that must've been 1/2 ton or more - about 6-8' long. If you get there glance up, occasionally one circles around after divers disturb them.

There's one endangered Monk Seal that lives off Ni'ihau which is an all-day rough water crossing that should be possible in late April. But don't take your husband, there won't be anything for him to do. There's also some at the Waikiki Aquarium - a nice small place to visit if you're there. They also have Chambered Nautilus in a small tank inside - only place I've ever seen one.

Haven't dove Oahu.

Does your husband golf? He won't be bored while you're out diving. Kapalua Ocean Course on Maui is especially good. The Wailea courses are excelent also.

Last edited:
Thank you so much, DiverSteve. I'm very new to Scubaboard.com, so that was my first real experience with posting. I wasn't too sure if I was doing it right. I really appreciate the tips. Your reply was incredibly helpful and very thorough. And yeah, my husband does golf so I'll definitely pass that along. Thanks for the good suggestion! Again, really appreciate it! Have a great day!

P.s. What?!? Hearing humpbacks sing... Man, does that sound amazing! And what an experience to swim with a calf! Too cool!

If you want big turtles - I'd say Maui is the spot, at least compared to the Big Island where they seem to be a smaller grade. For dolphins and mantas, the Big Island definitely gets the nod, though again it's possible to get that on Maui as well. You should be able to hear whales at either island, seeing them underwater is a pretty rare event but does happen.

By the way, there is effort afoot to stop dolphin viewing in the islands so go see them while you still can.

For me, the Big Island also has the superior snorkeling though Maui has its defenders, and for a short trip there are enough good spots that you can probably find bliss on any of the islands.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom